Installing windows xp on a compaq presario

Discussion in 'Software' started by ccureton1337, Oct 21, 2007.

1. ccureton1337

ccureton1337 Private E-2

Does anyone know for certain if you can install windows XP Professional on a Compaq Presario 5441? I was attempting to do a clean install but the setup process continues to fail. At some instances the comp freezes up when copying files over and during others we get a blue screen with various STOP errors including 0x0000000A, 0x00000050, etc.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. ccureton1337

ccureton1337 Private E-2

the first thing i thought was maybe bad disc, mainly because the install would freeze up in the same spots, when it did. however, i recently used the same install cd for my other pc and it worked fine. Plus i also tried using a backup copy of the xp pro disc and im receiving the same errors. I guess it could be cd-rom but why would the setup go that far then bugout?

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

At 4.3 gig hard drive and a maximum of 384 megs of RAM possible, it is hardly worth the effort, IMO. I'd stick with W98SE, if you can get a copy cheap.
    Only 64 megs of RAM installed?

Thumbnail for anyone interested.
    Bazza

===

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

A lack of RAM can definitely cause XP install errors, as can faulty memory. As mentioned above, even if this PC had the RAM maxed out (a whopping 384mb), it will still run really slow and probably be very frustrating for anyone using it, and the hard drive will be over half full after installing XP, drivers and updates....

6. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

I have Installed Windows Xp Pro on a 550 mrhz P3 384mb ram and a 10Bg Hdd it ran prefect !! id say try disableing bios shadowing & caching in the system Bios
    BTW:If you only have 64mb of ram than you don't have enough to even install windows Xp let alone Run it 128 MB of AVAILABLE System ram IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to even install Windows Xp and even if it installed with 128mb ram It may not boot up correctly as it may not have memory on the first boot

7. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Several years ago, I installed Win XP Pro on a system running an AMD Duron processor rated at 600MHz and 384MB of RAM. It ran fairly good, actually, but it also an AGP video card with 64MB of video memory onboard. The video part of your Compaq is one of the performance-limiting factors for running Win XP well.

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Obviously it is possible. But I noticed one of their experiments took 30 minutes to bootup (extremely small quantity of RAM--was it 20 megs?).

Great for bragging rights, but not really practical in the real world, IMO.

Bazza

===

10. ccureton1337

ccureton1337 Private E-2

but does everyone agree that memory issues could cause install errors? Im wondering if buying a new hard drive and more RAM memory would actually help or if Im just wasting my time and that the install errors could be coming from somewhere else?

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Install errors would typically be ram issues (tho, it very well could be bad sectors on the hard drive) ...I have installed xp on old slow computers ...with 256 mgs of ram and they ran ....slow, but ran ...so I would test your ram and also test your hard drive.

12. ccureton1337

ccureton1337 Private E-2

what would be a good way to test the hard drive and ram?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds