Installing Windows XP Pro SP2 on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by anthonycar9, Jun 6, 2012.

1. anthonycar9

anthonycar9 Private E-2

I would like to install windows XP PRO SP2 on the emachines that was given to me with Windows Vista Premium 32 bit SP1 can someone help me out and give me a walk thru there are some things i am unclear on i know that i have to back up can i do that on a flash drive or does it have to be on disk also do i copy just the contents of C:// or both C and D drives (theres no personal info i want just what i need to get up and running), and after the installation how do i reinstall what i backed up? DO i just copy or move the files back to the drive that i got them from? What are the most important files that i need to make sure i have backed up? Here is the computer ,specs and hardware i want to do this on
    e-machines T5062 Desktop PC Service Tag
    MS WINDOWS Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+
    2.4 GHz 512 L2 Cache 200MHz System Bus
    RAM: 1.0 GB Dual Channel DDR2 @ 301 Mhz(5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard: Elite Group MCP61PM-AM(socket AM2)
    Graphics: L7EH_TA@1024 x 768
    128 MB GeForce 6150E nForce 430(EliteGroup)
    Hard Drive: 161 GB HITACHI HITACHI HDS721616PLA SCI Disk Device (IDE)
    7200 RPM with 8MB Cache
    Optical Drives: ATAPI DVD A DH16A1P ATA Device
    Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
    Network 10/100mbps Ethernet/lan

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

So do you want to end up with both vista and xp when you're done, or just xp?

3. anthonycar9

anthonycar9 Private E-2

I want just the XP, I really dont like Vista at all. thanks

4. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

First, back up all your documents, pictures, videos to a flash drive. You do not need the complete contents of the drive, you don't need the programs, as you will have to reinstall those in XP..

Boot from the XP CD and select a advanced or custom install, then choose to format the hard disk. That will wipe out your vista and leave you with a clean drive. Then proceed through the installation as prompted. When the installation is done, first this is to install anti-virus software, then install the network, audeo, and video drivers that your system uses.

Make sure before you do any of this that you first download the network, audio, and video drivers that you will need for your computer when it is running xp.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds