Installing XP on 200gb Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theartpirate, Jul 14, 2004.

1. theartpirate

theartpirate Private E-2

ok, first of all i thought this would be everywhere, but after some time looking around i gave up and just decided to ask... I just got a new computer, but i decided to install my own version of XP Pro instead of the one they had provided (home edition)

but when i formated the 200 gig hard drive it only shows 32gb. So i attached it to another machine and partitioned the drive to a 127gb and a 71gb, but the new machine still only shows it as 32gb... here's my question...

If i install the XP pro on the 32gb, then install the service pack, will i be able to expand the hard drive so i can use the full 200 gb? do i need software to do it? remmber i'm using this drive as the boot drive.

any help would be greatly appriciated.

tap

2. Asian_gUy

Asian_gUy Private E-2

wacky huh, well how did you reformat your drive? By Fdisk? Or some third-party software?

3. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What mobo is this some may need Bios updates to allow large size HDs?

Do you have XP SP1 as that allows over the 38gb limit on the first version.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

or as well as above you could once installed XP use Disk Managment to format and merge or use Partition Magic to format and merge partitions.

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I don't understand why you're limited to 32 GB. Supposedly, some HDD have a 32 GB jumper for compatability with older BIOSes, but that doesn't explain why the other machine works fine.

BIOS limitations are generally 528 MB (504 MiB) for BIOSes older than 1994, 8.4 GB (7.8 GiB) for BIOSes older than 1998, and 137 GB (128 GiB) for BIOSes older than 2002.

Windows 95 has a hard limit of 32 GB... but this is XP.

Are you formatting with FAT32 or NTFS? If a drive is formatted with FAT32 and uses 16KiB cluster sizes, there is a hard limit of 32GiB. You must go to 32 KiB sectors to extend the HDD capacity to 2 TiB, but you should never use FAT32 on drives this size.

Please give us the make/model of your mobo and HDD.

6. theartpirate

theartpirate Private E-2

Thanks for all the replies guys, I reformated my hard drive using the hard drive's manufactures disk managment software, in this case it was seagate. I know my bios and mother board are able to recognize my hard drive becuase it was used on it before. At first the hard drive read 137gb, but crashed during installation, and now it reads at 32gb. Which i thought was super weird. my 32gb jump was not on. but as long as i can expand the hard drive later i don't care. I will try to install it on the 32gb and then try to expand it with partition magic (Acronis Partition Expert it's free to try)... hopefully it won't effect my ability to boot up. initially, do you think i would have had better luck partitioning with Fdisk rather then the Seagate software?

tap

7. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I'd run the HDD tests on the drive. Something is wrong, and I don't think it's WinXP.

At the very least, swap the IDE cable for a different one (make sure it has 80 conductors). Also be sure the IDE cable is at the end of the ribbon (the middle one is slave, and you get better signal quality at the end). If your HDD is sharing a channel with a CD drive, put it on another channel.

8. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Win XP should give you the option to format and partition the drive. XP will take the full 200 under NTFS.

At least that was my experience installing on a new 250gb maxtor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds