Installing XP to new hard drive disk read error

Discussion in 'Software' started by hilbilymel, Feb 1, 2009.

1. hilbilymel

hilbilymel Private E-2

I have a new hard drive (computer actually) and have worked through multiple problems.
    Now I have got it to the point where I can install ubuntu.

The problem is I cannot install XP which is what I really want.

I go through the first round of installation instructions. It starts to reboot. I take the disk out and then I get a disk read error message.
    It also says I can click CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

I've tried multiple times and this is what I always get when I remove the disk. I reformatted the drive after installing ubuntu so XP should see a new drive right?

Do I need to do something like partition the drive before installing XP to avoid this error?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You should be leaving the disk in but letting it start from the HD.

So insert XP disk, press any key to start from CDROM. When it restarts the first time leave the disk in but do not press any keys. Do the same the second reboot.

3. hilbilymel

hilbilymel Private E-2

It doesn't work. It automatically boots from the CD.

4. hilbilymel

hilbilymel Private E-2

I changed the bios so the hard drive boots first. Now I just get the A disk read error occurred message.

5. sach2

You need your BIOS set to CDROM first and HD second.

How far into install are you getting? Just the file copying (<5min) and then reboot? Is your HD IDE or SATA? If it is SATA you have to insert your SATA disk when prompted.

6. hilbilymel

hilbilymel Private E-2

I set the Bios back the way it was so it is now CDROM first and HD second.
    I also took out some of the memory. I found someone online who suggested it saying that xp cannot see 3 GB or more during setup. Anyway that doesn't seem to have helped either.

I am getting through the copying and the formatting part. Then it reboots.

I get a message that says Boot from DVD/CD: then a flashing cursor. I don't touch anything but it boots from the CD anyway.:(

It is sata. When does it ask for the SATA disk? I noticed something about RAID but I don't remember SATA. Is that the disk that came with the motherboard? That manual said to install drivers after the OS was installed.

I know the sata connection is working because I can install Ubuntu on it.

7. sach2

The message should be Sata/Raid drivers hit F6. That is the motherboard disk you want to use. I hope you have a floppy drive.

I believe Linux doesn't have this limitation.

8. hilbilymel

hilbilymel Private E-2

Why would I need a floppy drive? I thought that new motherboards didn't need sata drivers to load xp. The manual also says to wait until windows is installed to use the disk.

On another note I took some of the memory out and put it back in and now it restarts if there is no CD in the drive instead of giving me an error.

I checked the bios and it sees the drive at the correct size and the windows install can see it and format it.

9. hilbilymel

hilbilymel Private E-2

Update:

I took the CMOS battery out. After I put it back in I got a screen that said post error. It gave me the option of choosing some previuos configurations. I did not choose one and it went away. Then it restarted and went back to restarting when there is no disk in the CD drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds