1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Instant messaging

Discussion in 'Software' started by kahless, May 9, 2003.

1. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

I am looking for a good (in-house) instant messaging program to use on our 192.168.?.? lan. Any ideas?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

free one? or no preference?

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

Last edited: May 9, 2003
  4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

6. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

I do not have a preferance as far as monitary, however we have several hundred users and i would rathere not have to pay per person if you know what i mean.I do not think My budget could take that kind of hit this quarter.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, you can do this, but it doesn' t retain a conversation history. it's a one for one shot.

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

maybe you don't.. but I, and I'm sure many others do, like to have a live history of the conversation. i.e. be able to scroll up to re-read things..

9. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

what about winpopup?

10. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

11. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

The only problem with the windows messaging that was mentioned above is we have to route it thru an adtran(ie from a 192.168.1.? to a 192.168.101.? and so on) also we have a variety of operating systems from here in eugene to cottage grove to junction city. Win95,98,linux,xp home, and xp pro.We also have a few that are completly mobile and use two seperate networks they utilize for connection. Also the windows messaging does not communicate well thru a truly IP based network utilizing three seperate servers. 2 novell and one exchange.

I will investigate winpopup and will let you know the results, please keep the suggestions coming!!
    Thanks

12. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Jabber for sure, I believe by default it is encrypted (I think, last time I read about Jabber was a long time ago...) and their are clients for Windows, *N?X, etc. You can also perhaps use Gaim with a special plugin for 448 bit encryption

Atleast I think this is what you are asking for =)

EDIT: Just so you know, Jabber is a protocol and Gaim is software that supports many protocols and plugins...

13. kahless

kahless Ranger Ru Paul

thanks for the info i will lokk into it thanks

14. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

umm, you can use the messenger service, i belive there are programs like winpopup which intercept the messages and make a log. Problem comes when youve turned off messenger service.

I have only ever used somthing called....ummm.... sorry cant remember :$

Sonork! thats it. uses http encryped, but you do need a server!

15. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

16. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

ah i see, so its like that is it?