Instructions For Routine Computer Maintenance

Discussion in 'Software' started by zamorazeke, Nov 21, 2016.

1. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Hi Members;

I'm wondering if there is a feasible method for me periodically to run a routine computer maintenance protocol on my desktop, instead of paying for annual maintenance contracts from Geeksquad. I had them do the online maintenance yesterday. I watched, and it seemed the technician used their MRI suite of maintenance utilities.

I'm not totally ignorant of this type of procedure, but I'd like to know, if I have average computer proficiency and knowledge, if there is a suite of maintenance utilities that would suffice to replace that yearly fee paid to Geeksquad. Also, I have Kaspersky on the computer now, and it seems to have prevented any major problems with malware, etc. for the last year.

Thanks to any/all who read this and wish to lend any advice pertinent to this question.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you've read the news articles at Major Geeks, you'd have read that Kaspersky and Microsoft are in a tussle particularly when it comes to Windows 10 and Kaspersky AV.

Since you've been using Geeksquad, I'm presuming you have CIS installed. CIS comes highly recommended by at least one of the Forum members but, I'm not familiar with exactly what Geeksquad does during it's annual "maintenance". Could you please list what they do so that forum members can suggest alternatives?

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If your system is primarily personal to you, then the need for a paid system maintenance contract is debatable.
    What can they do that you can't? Very little if anything.
    Whether or not you use any Comodo product (or even Kssperksy!) is pretty irrelevant to your system maintenance and even though a considerable number of MG members use their products (and millions elsewhere) it is not even remotely important. There are a wealth of choices for effective security software aside from Comodo or Kasperksy.
    But to come to system maintenance, it depends on your hardware how you interact with the internet and the age and wear of the hardware.
    Suffice to say that many 100s of millions of Windows users manage quite well without having he contract you have.

4. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

I haven't seen one,:( but I think your idea is feasible.:) The question is do you have the time to develop it.:eek: I vision a script to do it it all, but I don't have the time to write scripts anymore.:p So, it isn't practical for me to do such. Is it practical for you to do this?;) Besides, I enjoy the hands on approach to see if everything is running okay, checking device manger, event log and such, checking for new drivers and software with DUMo and SUMo, finally looking at MG homepage to see what Tim has new for the day.:rolleyes: A script could do all this, but it wouldn't be much fun nor educational, too say the least. After updating and troubleshooting, I drift to here, the Support Forum. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds