Intallation problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by AC74ECU, Feb 1, 2006.

1. AC74ECU

AC74ECU Private E-2

Hello all,
    I am having problems installing software on my windows 98 operating system. So far I have had problems with AVG antivirus
    (Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for file avgres.dll: creating file....
    No such file or directory),
    with Couterspy
    (error 1304: make sure you have access to that directory),
    and now with a game
    (error box pops up with a red X in it but no message when i try to install)

I have had problems in the past with this but now i'm getting tired of not being able to figure it out.

Also, it's hard to check for spyware because I can't do the online antivirus scans (gives error it can't do it). Have had problems finishing an adaware scan (computer freezes at certain point during scan). Can't update SpyBot (will not connect). I currently use AntiVir but I don't think it's updating so that's why i've been trying to install AVG (which i have on another PC and love).

Please help, I'm becoming super frustrated.

Thanks in advance!

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi AC74ECU
    What's the size of the HD and how much space do you have left?? It's such an odd sounding problem for Win98, that you're either very low on HD space or perhaps there's surface damage. I'd be tempted to run Scandisk, just to rule that out.

3. AC74ECU

AC74ECU Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, I would really like to get to the source of this problem. It's keeping me from doing anything new.

I have a 30 GB hard drive with only 9GB's used. So that's not it. I also have ran all the disk utilities. They all check out.

Is it possible that I'm missing an installation file or anything?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

4. prometheos

Are you able to "manually" create a directory folder in the root of your C: drive and transfer some files to it? If not, then you may have run out of "root directory" entries. If you've somehow collected a large number of files in the root of your C: drive, it's possible to be locked out in this way.

5. prometheos

EDIT: previous post -- I spoke too hastily! -- That only applies to FAT16 formats -- you're using FAT32 -- Whoops! Sorry about that.

6. AC74ECU

AC74ECU Private E-2

That's quite allright...;)

Any other ideas?

7. prometheos

I wonder if you're low on "allocation units"? Try this. Run Command.com. At the C:\> prompt type CHKDSK(press enter). With your 30 gig drive you'll likely show 8,192 bytes in each allocation unit.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit
    775,617 total allocation units on disk
    390,923 available allocation units on disk

If you have lot's of available allocation units, then we can rule that out.

8. prometheos

Hi AC74ECU
    You have an intriguing problem. Here's a thought. What if your hard drive is set in "CMOS" to the 24-bit CHS class of drive. This would cut your 30 gig drive down to 8.3 gig. Windows is expecting the "BIOS" to do 48-bit LBA translation, so your disk would look full! You can't add files to a full disk. So, enter your CMOS setup screen and find the part that let's you detect your hard drive. If you see any reference to CHS ( Cylinder, Head, Sector ) or LARGE, steer clear. You need to see LBA, or AUTO. Then Windows should be able to access the rest of the drive:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds