Intel ICH8 AHCI driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by the mekanic, Sep 17, 2013.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The mekanic is in a bit of a bind for a change.

I have an older Dell Dimension E520 with an XP license which needs a refurb. As most of us know, XP is native IDE, SO to complete the install without a BSOD, I need the chipset driver which supports SATA/EIDE. The BIOS does not offer to switch to EIDE. All I can seem to find searching for this chipset driver (Intel ver.8.3.0.1010) are bum links with people who want me to install their crapware to get the 1.88 MB file in question. :mad

All I get on the Intel site is documentation, no files.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. the mekanic

How's that old saying go? Ask and ye shall receive.

Noticed a "direct download" link on the Cnet page.

Nevermind...

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You aren't the only one. I usually find what I'm looking for 10 minutes after I post! :-D

4. the mekanic

Now if I could only get it installed proper, so it doesn't BSOD...

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. the mekanic

That probably would work, but I would need a functioning OS first. The problem is getting past the AHCI setting with a Windows XP install disc.

I've used nLite, but I still get a BSOD. I also tried F6, but Setup will not recognize the disc with the drivers on it. I will attempt to formulate another plan of attack tomorrow.

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Try to install in Safe Mode?

8. the mekanic

I'm dealing with a totally blank hard drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds