Intel Rapid Storage Device does not start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RK233, Sep 2, 2014.

1. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

My Intel RST service is not running for some reason; this stopped working recently for some reason not known (I do not know the exact date when it stopped nor how to check the Window logs for this.) I have been getting an error that "iastorui.exe" does not start (CLR20r3). I believe this is for the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller device. [I have version 1.7601.182.31, 6/21/2006 installed.]

I have a WIN7 OS 64 bit with Avast Interent Security (with firewall).

I tried running a couple driver update programs from MajorGeeks to determine if I need any updates for any drivers. I ran the Driver Booster and also the Winzip Driver Updater programs. Both noted about 14-15 drivers that needed to be updated. I went to my Device Manager in windows and checked the noted drivers individually by clicking on "update drivers" for each. Most of those devices that the programs which I ran said "needed drivers" did not per the Device Manager. [Not trusting those programs i just left things per the Device Manager advice.

I went to the Intel website and tried running their Driver Update Analyse tool It did not note anything about the Intel Rapid Storage driver. I could not figure out how to download (or what) the most up-to-date Intel Rapid Storage driver listed.

Do you have any idea of why this device may not be working/starting all of a sudden? I may or may not need a driver update. Could it not be starting for any other reason? Do I really need this device?

Please let me know what I should do. Thank you for your assistance.

2. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I am attaching a screenshot of the icon with a blue circle that appears in my bottom taskbar. I do not know what this means or what to do. The instructions in the program dashboard are vague.

Attached Files:

3. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

According to the screen shot you posted it looks like the blue icon means the software is trying to communicate with the Intel RST service that is currently not responding because it hasn't started.

I would first try starting the service manually (Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Services). You should be able to right-click the service Intel RST service and select 'Start' from the popup menu. If the service fails to start it may indicate some type of error. If the service fails to start you can check the Windows Event Viewer (Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer) to see if there are any warnings or error having to do with the event.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I tried starting it from Services but it was "already running" and this did not help.

On my taskbar at the bottom of my screen I have the icon noted above with the blue circle. If I click on it Windows gives me a message screen noting it can check online for a solution (It has tried but cannot find one)

I get the following details which I can click to read:
    IAStorUI has stopped working
    Description:
    Stopped working

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: iastorui.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 10.1.0.1008
    Problem Signature 03: 4cd508b4
    Problem Signature 04: PresentationFramework
    Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 5167b4d1
    Problem Signature 07: 758
    Problem Signature 08: 57
    Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    ===========================

I am not sure how to find this in the Event Viewer. Somehow it seems like there may be a problem with this "icon" communication regarding this service and/or the service.

6. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I have a 1 TB Hard drive and a 1TB external drive that I hook up as needed to back-up periodically. I am not sure what you mean otherwise.

I have Speccy and a can post a Summary of my system if needed. Let me know what to post and how if needed.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

With only 1 internal drive, you certainly don't need the added complexity/interference of RST.

Carefully follow Patrick's removal routine - don't forget the Restore point creation first - you may need that (or Last Known Good) should something go wrong.

8. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Satrow gives good advice.

If you are really worried about this problem, go to the Intel website and find you way to the chat portal. I have found a chat with a person on that has helped (though not always solved the problem). Hint: if you are not successful with person #1 try again, you will get through to someone different who will likely be more helpful

Dumb_Question
    14.September2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds