1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"intel rapid storage technology" do I need it

Discussion in 'Software' started by Marlene3369, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Marlene3369

Marlene3369 Private First Class

I have a new computer,HP with Windows 7 Home and it came with "intel rapid storage technology" installed on it. What is this and do I really need it,I have accessed it and it really does not do anything that I can see. It just tells me that my system is running good and that's about it. Should I uninstall this or do I need it.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's for putting your HDD's into a RAID configuration which I very much doubt that you have or need, it's a geeky thing to make hard drives faster and/or safer. Here's a Wiki on it for that night that you can't fall asleep.;)
  3. Marlene3369

Marlene3369 Private First Class

Hi Augie,
    I did not think I needed it,thank you for your help Augie,I think I'll just uninstall it but I wonder why it was installed on a new system in the first place. Maybe intel thinks you might need it in the future,or there just selling the product :-D

4. Taz1956

Taz1956 Private E-2

Hi Marlene,
    Bob here
    I have an older but dynamite Lenovo t61 and I just installed Intel rapid storage tech. and I have tested and found I get about 15-20 minutes more battery time with this software running.
  5. muymalestado

muymalestado Private E-2

Thanks, but is this the answer the OP (or Marlene) wanted? Does it do anything for standalone or simple Windows networked PC's / laptops?

I'll not be using RAID anytime soon and I see from ProcessExplorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653) that IRST uses about 23MB RAM and 0.01%CPU time which doesn't seem to change, so I suppose not much is happening.