Intel ViiV software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boccemon, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

I am trying to "streamline" my new XRS-420 Dell. It had so much unnecessary software on it right out of the box that my taskbar was very crowded. I have weeded out a lot, but this Intel ViiV software has me puzzled.
    When I click on the icon in the right hand portion of my taskbar a screen opens up asking me if I want to install this software (Read the EULA, blah, blah, blah) and I have simply closed it without installing it. From what I have read about this software it is for interactive use with other media such as watching TV on my computer. I watch TV on my TV, not on my computer. Also, from what I have read it has left me confused as to whether this is a vital part of my OS or not. The computer has a Core 2 Quad 6600 processor. Does it need this software to operate properly? The box seems to be working fine and is faster now that I have removed a bunch of stuff that is not needed in the taskbar, but I do not want items sitting there just taking up resources either.

PS. OS is WinVista Home Premium.

What say ye? Do I ax this or not? TIA, BocceMon

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Never mind:wave. I just talked with Dell Support (an American to boot!!) and they told me all about this. It is special software for HD input and processing. They strongly encouraged me to install it as it has drivers and other features that will help my processor work better, and that I will get better graphics, blah, blah, blah. They also told me that if I really wanted to I could ax this, but again strongly discouraged me. I'm gonna' install and see and if I'm not happy it is a simple process to get rid of it.

3. dbarsaleau

dbarsaleau Private E-2

I have a Dell XPS 420 and just purchased a Sony Playstation 3 to hook up to my TV. What I discovered is that when the Playstation 3 is on the network (it has a wireless interface so is on same network as my PC), the Intel Viiv software allows me to wacth videos, view pictures, listen to music, etc. from my TV via the PS3 interface. This is pretty cool, since I have some videos stored on a backup device that I can now watch on a big screen TV rather than my PC monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds