Intel WiFi issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by jab2424, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jab2424

jab2424 Private E-2

A week ago I performed all of the critical, recommended, and optional updates on my month-old Lenovo T400 (it was dragging and would freeze up). Towards the end of the installations I received a Windows message asking me to finish installing a driver, which it wouldn't let me do without a disc. As a result, I can't connect to the internet. A similar message appears whenever I start it up or try to connect to wireless internet; it says "Windows needs to install driver software for your Network Controller." The details of the driver are as follows:

"C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe" "00000001"
    \\.\pipe\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_1.{58e6c48b-fc87-44da-9f.
    "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118...FFCB02CA00"
    [/B]

Then it tells me to Insert the disc that came with your Network Controller. I don't have a disc, the only discs that came with my computer were two recovery discs for XP, and I have Vista.
    My laptop uses the Intel WiFi Link 5100, and right now it says that it can't find the network adapter. I tried rolling back the driver for the network adapter, and it's now Intel 82567LF Gigabit Network Connection, which it says is from 8/22/2008. In that case, is the adapter not the direct problem? Rather, is the only problem the network controller, which says under Device Manager that it isn't configured properly?
    I also tried installing a new package from lenovo that provides the Intel Wireless LAN driver to enable some Wireless LAN adapters, including mine. This also didn't help. At this point I've done all I can do, and probably should do. Help would be greatly appreciated!

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Help me understand, your pc came with xp or vista from the factory?

Here is your download page for drivers for xp and vista,

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70439.html.

If these drivers do not work it may possibly be a hardware problem, only 30 days old should not be a problem. ed

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  3. jab2424

jab2424 Private E-2

I've actually already tried downloading the driver on that page that will enable my wireless LAN, and it didn't work. In device manager it says that the network controller isn't configured correctly, so I need a driver to fix that. Since I already rolled back the driver for the network adapter, should I update it again to see if that works?

Out of the box it was vista, i'm not sure why the recovery discs are XP.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The Intel 82567LF Gigabit Network Connection is the wired ethernet connection, and has no effect one way or the other on your wifi/wireless connection. I recommend that you uninstall any wireless network drivers that are currently installed. Then install the driver from this link if using a 32bit Vista; if you have a 64bit version of Vista, then use this driver. If you're using Windows XP, install this driver. None of these drivers include the Intel Connection Manager. This means you'll use the built-in Windows wireless connection manager which is much less troublesome than most 3rd party connection utilities. As to why the PC shipped with XP recovery discs but had Vista pre-installed is a mystery, and I think it was actually a mistake at the packaging/shipping center for IBM/Lenovo. You might consider contacting them about getting Vista recovery discs (after making copies of the XP discs of course! ;) LOL )

[dlb]

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Some PC's '(usually 'business'versions) are sold with Vista installed and 'downgrade rights' to XP, ie., 2 sets of DVD's, are you sure you've not mislaid the Vista DVD? (Or are there hidden partions for Vista recovery? Either way, there should be a DVD/CD for the Vista drivers.)

dlb is correct to suggest you install the Intel drivers for your wireless, OEMs (Lenovo, Dell, etc.) are often many bugfixes behind with their versions of the drivers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds