Interesting SATA drive issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whiddenb, Aug 8, 2010.

1. whiddenb

whiddenb Private E-2

I have a Acer Aspire m1640 that had a nasty virus that infected both c: and d: drives so I could not restore of the HD (SATA- 320 gig Hitachi). So not having a restore disk for that computer I proceeded to try and format and install XP instead of vista because I had a vista disk. Well i keep getting the blue screen of death when trying to install on that drive.

I put this drive in another aspire a T670 and I had the restore disk for that and it picked it right up , I figured great I'll have some driver issues but it should work. I put the drive back in the 1640 and still the blue screen of death when it started to load windows.

So to shorten the story up I have installed vista and Xp on the drive. at different times, in another computer with no issues. I have installed XP on an IDE drive in the 1640 with no issues, but I can not for the life of me get the SATA drive to work in the 1640. I have formatted, fidisked, low level formatted then partition magic'd it and still no luck , any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

You probably need to go into the bios and set the SATA mode to compatibility or some other setting similar to that. Otherwise, you might have to slipstream your SATA drivers into the xp setup disk.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds