Intermittant browser connection to internet.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jozza, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Jozza

Jozza Private E-2

I work in a small school and recently we started to have a problem with browsing the internet. We don't have an 'IT Department' as such as I'm the closest thing to it.

When a browser is opened it will not connect to the homepage, or if it does its generally from cache, instead an error message about not being able to connect to server will appear. Now if you hit refresh you might or might not connect to the webpage in question but you can gurantee that it will take a long time to make that connection even on an undemanding site like wikipedia.

The odd thing is that when connected to a speed checker it gives no surprising results, speed is normal. Also when downloading a file or the latest linux live distribution torrent I can achieve maximum speeds available to us.

We use a selecction of Macs & PCs mostly connecting through ethernet cabling although connecting wirelessly is no different. We use BT 2Wire 2700HGV Business Hubs. I can't think of any changes our end that have happened to cause this and our internal network connections run just fine.

Any help or advice that can be given would be great.

2. Jozza

Jozza Private E-2

Oh BTW, most of the Macs are on static IPs but it makes no difference to the issue as those others using DHCP also have the problem.

3. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

This problem can sometimes be caused by the firewall, if the firewall is set to strict it can prevent many pages from loading like they should, now by no means should you turn it off, but see if by making it less strict if it helps or fixes the problem.

4. Jozza

Jozza Private E-2

I haven't made any changes to the firewall settings, there are three levels in force: unrestricted, medium and strict. All settings are affected.

In the meantime I am beginning to wonder if a factory reset of the router is worth a try or even see if I can find an alternative router to substitute and see if that makes a difference.

Of course my last option will be to phone our ISPs support line but I am pessimistic that they will provide a solution.

5. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

before I try to go into more detail, can you tell me

1. When did this start happening? within the last couple weeks?
    2. Who is your ISP?
    3. How do you connect to the internet?(Modem, Phone line, Ect)
    4. Are all your computers having the same problem?

This will help me get a better idea of your problem.

6. Jozza

Jozza Private E-2

It started happening about 5-6 weeks ago.

ISP is BT on a business account

we are rurally based so we connect to phone lines through the routers.

As far as I can tell yes they are all affected.

7. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

You can try to reset the routers, the second thing is check the modem settings, sometimes they have firewalls that can get turned on accidentally, which will cause internet problems.

most likely this has something to do with the problem, if not then i am afraid you will have to call your ISP, they can look at all your Modem and Router settings on their end unlike I can.

If you have any additional information that you think could be relevant for me to help you figure this out please post it. Because like i said from what i am reading it sounds like a firewall problem because i assume that you have already Released and Renewed the IP address.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds