Intermittent Connectivity problems after dl of Avast, Zone Alarm

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2kflhr, Feb 28, 2006.

1. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Maybe one you wizards can help me with this. I dumped my ISP provided 'Freedom Security Suite', blocked my Windows FW and loaded Avast and Zone Alarm.

After the machine sits idle for awhile it will not connect. The zone alarm send recieve box shows the red scale rising and only several small blips of the green scale before the page cannot be displayed pops up.

I log on under my name and my wife logs on under her name. The problem only began after I changed my AV and FW. Usually when I reboot the problem goes away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you disable ZoneAlarm from running or use MSconfig to disable it from starting at boot do you have the same issue?

to use Msconfig... goto Start > Run > Type msconfig and goto Startup tab and untick zlclient > apply then reboot

Avast and Zone Alarm on some PC configurations can cause some incompatabilities ( I have seen it on 1 PC crash IE when conecting to the net, and on my two PCs they work fine ) so if after testing the above, the problem is not apparent, then try either of these free firewall in ZAs place Sygate or Outpost

3. BillC

BillC Private E-2

From your description, it could be you've not got your DHCP server IP in the Trusted zone of Zone Alarm's Firewall > Zones panel. In case you don't know, here's how to find DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

4. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Yes, I have disabled ZL and the problem still exist.

Thanks for the reply!

5. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

I have added it to the trusted zones. I'll see if this fixes it.

Thanks for the reply!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds