Intermittent Internet/ Network Connection, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by snrfrito, May 23, 2007.

1. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

After months of trying to tweak and restore my home network to its original, operational state, I've just about given up; so I hope you guys can help me...

I have a wireless setup through which 2 computers are connected. One is plugged directly into the router, the other is connected via a wireless access point. Only the computer with a wireless connection experiences problems connecting or staying connected. Below are the specs:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ROUTER SETUP
    Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B BroadBand Router ver.4
    DHCP Enabled (on router and wireless connection computer)
    NAT Enabled
    SSID Broadcast Enabled (and SSID is not the default)
    WEP 64bit encryption
    MAC Filters Disabled
    IP Address Filters Disabled
    Wireless Channel 11 - 2.467GHz (I have wireless phones running at 5.8GHz)
    Firmware is up-to-date (was once reinstalled to check for corruption)

WIRELESS COMPUTER SETUP
    Brand New Computer with Fresh Installs
    XP Professional Edition
    Windows Firewall Enabled
    Ad-Watch Monitoring Active (from Ad-Aware)
    Symantec Anti-Virus Active (but not shown in taskbar, to my confusion...)
    IEEE 802.1x Authentication Disabled

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, that said, I can explain what's going on. For the most part, when I turn on my computer, my network automatically connects to my wireless network, and I can surf the net. I can ping the other computer, the wireless router, and internet sites with full packets being returned/ replied.

However, after a random amount of time (and I mean random, I've timed it), I will suddenly lose connection with the internet and the network. But amazingly enough, my network still says I am connected with excellent strength! At this point I cannot ping a single thing and have replies sent back.

What baffles me is that when I restart my computer.... presto! Connection restored! The automatically assigned IP address is still the same as before, the wireless router settings haven't changed, and the settings on my computer haven't changed.... but now it works?

At first I thought that it was due to interferences. I began to notice that whenever we received a phone call, our connection would pause, then resume after the call was ended. So, I replaced the 2.4 GHz phones with ones running at 5.8GHz. Since then, I haven't not had a problem with network hangups when the phone is used, but the previously mentioned problem remains!

Other than that, I know that excessive cell phone use can cause interference, and noticed it when kids were returning home from college; the network would begin to lag. But overall, the problem would remain even when the kids went back to college.

Could it be that people are trying to gain access to our network, or that other broadcasting networks are creating interference? I don't really think so, because the problem still exists between 12am and 7am when I would expect people to be surfing the net the lease. Most people in my neighborhood aren't too computer savvy and when their kids are off at college, I doubt they are up all night messing with my network, purposefully or accidentally.

What I have noticed is that it usually occurs when any kind download is made to my computer; be it a trailer, updates for a game, music, etc. However, this is only most of the time, mind you. Sometimes it happens at random.

I have run spyware sweeps with both Ad-Aware and Spybot, and my machine turned up clean; I've run virus scans with Symantec Anti-Virus, to no avail; lastly I tried running WinsockxpFix... that also didn't solve the problem. :(

So if you've got any ideas as to what could be done to fix this problem, I'm all ears. I've run out of ideas, and exhausted my resources... and have nearly torn out all my hair in the process.

Thank you so much in advance; I really appreciate the help. :)

2. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

HijackThis Report

By the way, here is the HijackThis report for my computer:

Attached Files:

• hjt.doc
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: HijackThis Report

That sounds like a classic memory leak. Have you noticed the ram usage in task manager (commit charge) when it happens?

4. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

No, I haven't noticed that. I will keep an eye out for it and report back.

But, even if this were the case, why would it happen to two computers? What I mean is: I had a dell desktop where my new computer is now, not 3 months ago, and it had similar problems. Could it just be that both computers have different problems but the same symptoms?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm, somewhat unlikely, I didnt know about the second computer.

Drawing on my own experiences, my Powerbook used to do this. The culprit might not be what you expect though. It was the router. Why rebooting actually fixed my machine, I dont know, but it did. Of course eventually, my desktop, which is wired, did the same, prompting me to replace the router. Thats how I stumbled upon the culprit. To date, Ive not had the problem again.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Who is you broadband provider?

There have been reports of many instances of slow service/ breaks in service due to problems with the local loop unbundling in the UK with certain suppliers.

Studio T

7. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Our cable provider is Wave Cable in the US... I've called them and asked for them to reestablish connections a few times, and it would solve the problem for only a moment.

I checked to see if my Commit Charge spiked when I got knocked off-line, and it didn't, so it may not be a memory leak.

I don't want to replace my router until I know for sure that it is the problem... so any other suggestions?

Is there a way for a log to be created, detailing network activity, to spot why this could be happening?

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So please confirm are you in the US as well.

Studio T

9. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Sure am. :cool

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not an ISP issue if the wired computer is not affected.

Next time this occurs, try gooing to a command prompt (cmd.exe) and type ipconfig /repair. See if it repairs without errors, or if it does give errors, please note what they say.

11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Well spotted Adrynalyne I missed that.

Have a look in your manual for the correct orientation of the transmitter antenna. This can make a huge difference to wifi reception.

Studio T

12. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Thanks guys, I will try it out (the cmd ipconfig /repair).

As for the transmission strength, I get a full 5 bars. I've asked my neighbors and even they receive 4 from mine... so I don't think the placement of the router is too bad.

Whenever I have tried to repair the connection by right clicking on my network manager in the task bar, it gets stuck trying to reestablish the connection. At which point I cannot close out from there and usually have to restart my computer.

I will try noting what errors I receive with the cmd prompt though, thanks.

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Manufacturer's own wireless software has been reported conflicting with XP.
    In particular linksys program wlan monitor. Remove any monitoring programs, using add/remove progs in control panel.

Also look at the Windows own service 'wireless zero configuration service'

Do this in msconfig
    start>run typein
    msconfig
    Select services tag.
    make sure Wireless zero configuration entry is ticked.
    restart.

Studio T

14. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Alrighty. So, Wireless Zero was ticked, and I'm really sure what to look for in Add/Remove Programs regarding a monitoring service.... but after looking through the programs list, I am pretty sure I didn't find anything that would stick out like that.

Is there anything more specific in particular that I should look for in there?

Oh, and btw, I'm not sure if a recent crash I've run into was part of this whole connection problem or not, but here's what happened: I was playing Guild Wars online last night, when suddenly the entire computer froze up, and I had to manually restart the computer. Once it was back on, and before reaching my XP profile, a screen popped up saying that I needed to adjust the frequency of my chip and memory... I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my CPU being overclocked, but if not, I figured I would bring it up here, just in case.

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

'utilities' and 'Goodies' that came on the installation disk with the router.
    You may not even realise you installed them. The Linksys program is called WLAN monitor.

What do you mean on both?

Are you sure you have all the windows network dialog boxes configured correctly on the rover, in particular is the ad hoc networks box ticked?.

Studio T

16. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Well, WLAN monitor is not installed.

What I meant by "DHCP is enabled" on both is that in my router's setup window (that I get to via it's IP address) is enabled so that IPs are automatically assigned to those logging onto the network, AND that my wireless computer is set to accept an IP address autoamatically (it doesn't have a static IP).

"Any available network (access point preffered)" is checked in my network manager's settings. I know I can't use ad-hoc (com-com) because my other computer does not broadcast a signal, it is wired directly to the router.

17. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

So, it happened again and when I tried to repair the connection via CMD, I got this error:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 5 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

18. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Above quote from Microsoft product documentation pages.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...wlan_client_configuring_concept.mspx?mfr=true

I suggest the following settings:

In Internet Explorer
    Tools>internet options>connections tab
    never dial a connection
    LAN setings untick all boxes

In the first dialog box of wireless network connection properties highlight your network.
    Choose advanced
    In the second dialog box, advanced tab
    networks to access = any available
    In the second dialog box, authentication tab
    In the second dialog box, association tab
    Check SSID
    Network authentication = shared
    data encryption =wep
    retype in your wep key twice
    tick ad hoc networks

do this for each of the values 0,1,2,3 in the key index box in case there is something funny about your router wep setting.

If you find an index that works untick the ad hoc if you like.

If this still doesn't work try substituting the router, thay are not a reliable component, as Adrynalyne says. I normally replace with Netgear.

Studio T

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If the renew is timing out, then you truly are disconnecting from the router (even though it doesnt show), the reboot is re-inititating the connection. I may have missed it, but have you tried different channels and/or drivers?

You have 11 choices :)

20. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I've read through all of the posts and I didn't see anything about looking for other router in the area. I use netstumbler. http://www.majorgeeks.com/NetStumbler_d4447.html It will detect all wifi networks in range and tell you what channel their on. You should be on a channel that is not used by one of your neighbors.

Also it could be a neighbors wireless phone or microwave if you in an apartment or condo or something like that. I had a customer with a similar problem and it turned out that on the other side of the wall where his router was, his neighbor had their 2.4g wireless phone base. We moved his router and solved the problem.

21. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

@studiot

Yep, all the settings are and have been as you suggested. But I don't see how I can run off an ad-hoc network. The wired computer is not the central internet hub, the router is.

@Adrynalyne

Yeah, definitely tried that. Some channels work better than others, but that doesn't really mean anything of significance because the problem itself is sporadic on any one channel. So to say it works better on some than others is to throw out this "chance" factor.

@shnerdly

I live in an actual house, with about 20-25 feet between us and out neighbors, so I don't think their equipment would be interfering...

The NetStumbler idea sounded great! But after running the program, it says that a network device is not connected.... even though I am online typing this while it tells me I shouldn't be able to.... most likely there's a compatibility issue there.

@All

I think I may just replace the router since it doesn't seem I have any other option; I mean, then thing is roughly 2 years old, maybe it's just time for it to bite the dust... rolleyes

This is the access point and router I'm considering:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124178
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124052

Mind letting me know if you think it's a good pair? :)

22. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

23. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

We have all been concentrating on your router. Before you sling it you might invite your neighbour to try connecting as a temporary guest with his laptop. Also see if you can do the same with your to his network. That would prove whether your laptop and or router are working properly in the wireless department.

Studio T

24. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

@LBMEST
    Yep, that was one of the first things I checked when I was first having problems a few months ago.

@studiot
    That is a really good idea. It will take some convincing because our neighbors are incredibly naive when it comes to network connections and somehow think than any outside computer connecting to their router poses a threat to their network... but sure, I'll give it a try.

@all
    One thing that I forgot to mention is that for a good while we had two computers connected wirelessly to our network in addition to the wired computer. The other wireless computer also experienced similar problems as I am having on my computer. So... is it safe to say that, without trying to get my neighbors to help me troubleshoot, the router would definitely be the culprit then?

Sorry I didn't mention this sooner... it probably would have helped a lot... rolleyes

25. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Well..........yeah...........likely!

Studio T

26. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I neglected to mention that NetStumbler needs to be run from your laptop or from a machine with a wireless adapter in it. If you ran it on a wired machine it wouldn't be able to find anything wireless because theres no way for it to look for one.

27. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Oh, I know. I was running it from my wireless desktop.

28. snrfrito

snrfrito Private E-2

Thank you so much, everyone, for your help. After purchasing and installing a new router/ access point combo, the problem has been resolved! I really do appreciate the help you guys gave, considering I did not want to purchase new hardware without being fully confident that my old router was the culprit.

Best of wishes,

Dustin.

29. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Now at least you can enjoy a bout of router stomping in your back yard

;)

Happy geeking

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds