Internal phone modem Dial-up & WiFi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Break_Da, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I have an internal phone modem in a pc and would like to add WiFi to use. I am stumped on how to set up.

Cheers

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

The modem would not be of use to you. If you don't have a wifi card the easiest is to purchase a usb wireless adapter and connect through that.

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I have found threads showing a device called WiFlyer as well as a more complex use of a main pc and Internet Connection Sharing; this is more complex than those who I am giving the information to need. The fundamentals and knowledge of networking is very limited.

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Do you mean to set up an Ad-hoc?

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

It is not Ad Hoc or wiflyer or any other complicated setup.

What, exactly, are you trying to connect to? The local coffee shop's wifi? Free hotspot at McDonald's? You need a wireless device to do this. Either you have a built-in wireless card or you can use a usb wireless adapter.

The wireless adapter is available at your local computer supply store, office supply store, even Target carries one. It is a piece of hardware that you install that will connect to wifi networks if you don't already have one.

A modem is for plugging the phone line in for either dial-up connection or to fax from your computer. It is something completely different from what you are asking for. Modems are not related to wifi in any way.

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

If you have a wireless card in your PC and you are trying to bridge your dial up connection to the wireless card to have wifi in your house, that might be possible but not practical.

I think a better explanation of what you are trying to accomplish will help get you a proper answer.

7. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

The family has a dialup connection to the Internet since they reside in a small country town, no other service is available. The family would like to use a wireless router to use for other smaller wireless devices.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds