Internet browsers not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by ausmanpa, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ausmanpa

ausmanpa Private E-2

I am running Windows XP SP3. Recently downloaded MS Office 2007. Soon after that, neither of my web browsers (IE 7 and firefox) would connect. No issue with internet connection - Outlook Express works fine, I can ping websites and a separate laptop can connect using both browsers via the wireless router connected to the desktop's modem. Am using the laptop now for this post.

Following a ms support post, I deleted IE 7 (and firefox) and the desktop IE is now V6. It still wn't connect.

I run AVG Free. At about the same time as the browser issue, on stertup there is the message that "avgnsx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". Only way i can get rid of the message is to exit AVG. Also AVG will not update (I guess because there is no internet connection).

Have no idea if any of these are related, but have got to the end of my limited technical ability. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds