Internet connection fails after 5-10 minutes of it working fine ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by micah_tanaka, Mar 11, 2009.

1. micah_tanaka

micah_tanaka Private E-2

Hi there...thanks in advance for anyone's help/suggestions.

Background: I have an HP laptop, running Windows XP and IE 7, and use a wireless router. I recently had issues with the Vundo virus. I followed the forums here in MajorGeeks and no longer have any issues (at least I don't think so since the _helper.dll files are no longer popping up, and the virus scans come out clean).

Problem: When I'm using this laptop, and open IE, the internet connection is strong and fast for about 5 or 10 minutes. After that, the connection is completely out, although the wireless router icon suggests the connection strength is "excellent."

My other laptop (running Vista) works just fine during all of this, with no connection disruptions (so I know it's not the router, or Comcast causing the problem).

What I've tried: I installed the new beta IE 8, thinking perhaps that might fix something. It did not. Tonight, I will reinstall the network card drivers to see if that helps.

I'd love anyone's thoughts on why the internet connection is going out on me. It is not until I restart the computer that I can browse the web (and ony for a short amount of time). Could it be that I still have virus issues?? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds