internet connection is continuously disconnecting and then connecting back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wackitacki, Feb 12, 2006.

1. wackitacki

wackitacki Private E-2

i often chat online but somehow the internet connection is disconnected so then suddenly i'm logged off of my chatroom and then i have to log back in continuously.
    it's not only in chatting but also when i download something it stops all of a sudden making me have to press download again so it would continue.
    it happens at different time difference, sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes 30 sometimes after an hour or so.
    it's getting annoying and i've been looking through many websites to find a way to get rid of this problem.

if anyone knows the solution to this problem please help me.

thank you

2. Dylan McG

Dylan McG Private E-2

Are you using a router? Broadband? Is your modem still recieving a signal?
    If your modem is losing a signal all together then call your ISP, If not connect yur internet straight through from the modem to see if you router is causing the problem.

3. wackitacki

wackitacki Private E-2

i have a cable modem and a broadband router.
    and it still blinks i think.
    but it still doesn't have the continuing connection
    just a few minutes ago it logged me off again....ahhh it's getting frustrating...

also i've plugged them off and on again incase it was because it wasn't plugged in right. but the problem still occurs...

4. Dylan McG

Dylan McG Private E-2

Does it do it with other computers that are using the routers? It could be your network card. But monitor your modem and make sure all the lights are lit when it goes down that way your know its your computer/router thats the problem

5. wackitacki

wackitacki Private E-2

the blinks are still blinking even when the internet connection is off. the off are like for a sec o r two and the connection is on again.
    and the internet speed is going really slow compared to its usual speed.

on my right corner it keeps showing up once in a while that the network connection is unplugged or something but then it disappears again after the sign shows up.....
    and i made sure i tightened up all the cords from the router and the modem.......

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It sounds like you could have a bad cat5 cable or perhaps a bad network card. Is you network card integrated to the mother board?

7. wackitacki

wackitacki Private E-2

thank you for all the replies

the network card is attached to the mother board. it's impossible to take it out without erasing isn't it?
    also is there any other solution other than changing the network card?

the speed is slowing down more....

8. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You should be able to disable the network in the BIOS and then install a different network card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds