Internet connection issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by computernongeek, Sep 14, 2008.

1. computernongeek

computernongeek Private E-2

A couple of weeks ago I had cable internet installed at my house ... for my stationary cpu and my laptop.

The day they hooked it up they asked to install cable on a wall where my computer was not located (easier for them) .. since I didn't care I said ok. instead of allowing me to move it before they left - they simply told me it would automatically work when I hooked my cpu up.

Well it doesn't.

It shows I have a connection in control panel but when I try to open EI it says no internet connection.

Called them back out and they said they really only know how 'to hook' up and make sure all lights are on ... and perhaps some program (no idea what) is missing?

argh

I called the trouble line and they (the young men who came to hook up the cable) told them I was missing a program and they seem to think this is my fix, frankly I don't care WHO fixes it, me or them I just want it working.

BTW laptop works fine (on it right now).

Any help would be appreciated.

It's a dell, using xp professional.

2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Use ethernet instead of USB. Usb needs drivers. Ethernet is virtually Plug-and-Play.
    If your desktop doesn't have an ethernet post, buy this special USB stick that has an ethernet port on the other end. It comes with different drivers.
    Need any more help, please post.
    Zack

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. computernongeek

it is an ethernet connection, or at least I am 99.99% sure it is.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If it shows you have a connection in Networking then suspect your firewall maybe blocking you as likely now you have a new router/modem that has a different name, so unless the firewall allows this new network you wont get on the net, so disable your Firewall to test, if you connect, in your firewalls settings add/allow the new netowrk.

What Firewall or Security software do you have?

5. computernongeek

I already disabled windows firewall, off to check my nortons now.

I did a connectivity diagnostic and it says .. all is good (and I am connected) but then says:

could not make an HTTP connection
    could not make an HTTPS connection
    Could not make FTP connection

6. computernongeek

7. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

8. computernongeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds