Internet connection problem with one computer but working on other

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ablaze, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

Hi,

well::: i dont know this is the right forum to ask this question or not :::: i have 2 computers; one is connected to internet with Wifi and working ::: the second one is connected to internet through Ethernet Cable ::: upto last night it was working very well ::: last night, it became hault and i shutdown the computer directly from pressing the power button long time ::: and after restarting, it started to have the problems with internet connection ::: when i restart the computer, it loses internet connection immediately ::: and i am not able to go to any site ::: my this computer has following specification :::

Processor Intel Pentium III
    797 MHz, 384 MB RAM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002
    Service Pack 2

the main softwares installed to avoid viruses and spywares etc ::: are

a-squared free 3.1
    avast version 4.7 Home Edition Build Dec2007 (4.7.1098)
    CCleaner v2.3.532
    Comodo BOClean Anti-Malware
    Comodo Firewall Pro
    Diskeeper 2008
    SpyBot - Search & Destroy
    Spyware Blaster

Almost all windows updates and software updates already done on my computer (upto last week)

at this time a-squared free is running for deep scan on this computer :::

Can you kindly help me in this regard :::

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'm not sure what you mean by "it became hault"?
    Did something overheat?
    Were there any error messages prior to you shutting down?
    Some troubleshooting steps for your internet connection -

http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html

3. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

thanks for your reply::: actually i meant that it just stopped working ::: and i have to press the power button long time to force it to shutdown abnormally:::
    i hope that i m clear this time ::: i will try to follow the instructions or help given in your link :::
    i think this is related to some kind of firewall setting :::: i dont know ::: because when i insert the cd given by my internet provider (company name: free), it tells me that i m connected with the internet ::: but when i try to update avast it says that there is connection problem and when i try to open internet explorer, it shows "impossible to open the page" ::::

4. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

i checked the site and all is ok upto 2 steps but the third step requires the installation of the softwares ::: i dont know anything about them ::: i didnt install them ::: waiting for further helping response :::: thanks again for your reply

5. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

well::: it started working itself without any change ::: i just do a deep scan with a-squared free who showed nothing abnormal and i started complete analysis by avast and when it was near to be completed but still running, the internet connection started to work ::::
    i dont know why but it started working :::
    thanks Ibmest for your kind help and quick response

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Well I'm glad you got it running.:cool
    I sure didn't do anything but point you in a direction.:eek:

7. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

its really amazing ::: it worked but only avast updated itself and after that i was only able to open google site and then boom ::: its disconnected again ::: avast is still running :::
    sorry to disturb you but problem is there again ::::

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'd go ahead and give those 2 fixes a try from the ezlan site.
    As an alternate, can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have the same problem? (Press F8 as the comp boots up)

9. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

well::: internet works perfectly in safe mode with networking ::: now what please???

10. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

well it works in safe mode:::: that means there is not problem of networking but its related probably with some software ::: i think may be this is related to firewall software ::: cmodo firewall pro :::

11. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You seem to have narrowed it down to the firewall settings.
    Check the application settings and also double check the Windows firewall just in case something changed with it.

12. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

well:: i dont know anything about firewall::: i uninstalled comodo personal firewall and i activated windows own firewall ::: after restarting, it started working ::: after sometime it stopped working ::: i restarted it and now its working very well:::
    now tell me what to do :: either i re-install comodo personal firewall and do some changes in it or i keep windows own firewall which according to the advice of majorgeeks is not good ::::
    what to do? please

13. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Well, there's 2 schools of thought on the Windows firewall.
    It protects you from inbound threats but not outbound threats. (If some malware gets on your computer, it will not stop it from sending out information.)
    So depending on your security set up and your surfing habits, you may be alright with just the Windows firewall.
    If you go everywhere on the internet and click on all links and open all emails, then the Windows firewall won't be sufficient. You will get infected.

There are other freeware firewalls - http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

You may also want to take a look at this thread for more security ideas -
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

If you have problems with the connection after choosing another firewall (if you go that route), you may want to post in the software forum as opposed to here.

Hope this helps.

14. ablaze

ablaze Private E-2

thanks a lot ::: this is really very nice of you ::: well:: i have already followed the second link given in your message and installed comodo personal firewall pro ::: well::: i think i will post now the problem in software forum ::: thanks again

15. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You are welcome.
    There are some good people in the software forum.
    They will get you straightened right out.
    Good Luck.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds