Internet connectivity issues...HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Feb 14, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

This PC was running so slow it was almost going backward. And it wouldn't connect to the internet, well it did rarely, very slowly on broadband. After removing AOL, Compuserve, NetScape, SBC/Yahoo, ATT, and numerous Norton things (Internet Security, Go Back, System Works, etc..) the PC is now running nice and fast, but still won't connect. It starts to load a page, some of the page contents become visible, and then it stops with the green loading/advancement bar at about half-way across. FireFox doesn't connect either. I've installed current chipset and NIC drivers, tried IEFix and Dial-A-Fix, removed IE7 to revert back to IE6, reloaded IE7, and so on.... cmd>ipconfig reports the correct numbers, but /renew doesn't always renew. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. A ping results in a 25% - 75% loss. I've even done an in-place safe reload of WinXP Home SP2... malware scans come up more or less clean: just some tracking cookies, no biggie.... the error reporting dialog DOES connect and successfully sends errors to Microsoft. SO- what the heck is going on here? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!! I know this is a long post, but I felt the need to be complete and thourough. THANX!

hopperdave2000

Oh yeah- I also tried a PCI ethernet card and disabled the on-board LAN and got the same result. I tried a laptop on the same cable going to the router, and it connected right away... right now I'm in the middle of an sfc /scannow and we'll see what happens................

2. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

:major

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Never under-estimate the power of the XP CD and cmd>sfc /scannow! It took about 15 or 20min, but it seemed to fix the problem. IE7 connected right away the first try, as did FireFox. The 2nd try, IE7 lagged a bit and I got impatient and closed it. I then tried FireFox again and again it worked like a champ. So I'm gonna assume the problem is fixed...............

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds