Internet disconnects every 20 minutes!! HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by josharnold47, Feb 2, 2011.

1. josharnold47

josharnold47 Private E-2

hey guys, I have a small problem. about every 20 minutes my computer just randomly disconnects and goes from having a network connection to having a local connection. When I try to view webpages it just says they are unavailable and pictures wont load on facebook, etc. I cant figure out what the problem is. I need your input, do you think I need a new router or something (i have a wireless router but Im wired into both computers). or if it is just rogers being shitty as usual. any replies would be greatly appreciated!

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd check the logs in the router, keep an eye (or a hand) on the temperature of it, disconnect it from the power for 20 seconds then reconnect, check around for any cellphones or any other electrical device near it - if there's anything within a meter/yard or so of it, try to increase the separation.

If you don't get a stable connection after all that, see if there's a firmware update for the router and call up your ISP to have them run a check on your connection.

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

When i had this happen it was a device that had been plugged in that had the same IP as the the router. It's default was 192.168.1.1 and the router was the same. That taught me never to use a common scheme for a network, never, ever again.

To see if you are having a similar issue, either check all your devices or change the router to a different IP scheme (like 192.168.77.X) and adjust the DHCP settings to match if you use DHCP. If the disconnect goes away, it was a conflicting device.

4. josharnold47

josharnold47 Private E-2

I will try some of your suggestions and post another reply later today, thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds