Internet disconnects ONLY when watching videos on Netflix.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by risingxxhero, Aug 21, 2011.

1. risingxxhero

risingxxhero Private E-2

About a week ago I signed up for Netflix. I watched one movie everything seemed fine. The next movie I tried to watch well that's when the issues started, I tried resetting the modem and router, disconnecting them and all that, did nothing. I have absolutely NO issues watching youtube videos, or even just browsing the internet, but as soon as I start watching Netflix, the internet disconnects.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Is your connection through the Wifi, or network cable to the router?

3. risingxxhero

risingxxhero Private E-2

Network cable to a wireless router.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

What is "connect to the router properly"?

Risingxxhero, where are you watching netflix? On your computer? If it is what operating system is it? When you say the internet disconnects, can you detail exactly what happens. Errors? IM in the background also disconnects? Can't get back to Netflix without rebooting the modem?

5. risingxxhero

risingxxhero Private E-2

Sorry I was out of town for a bit. I'm watching Netflix on my laptop. It is Windows 7. And from the looks of it, my laptop is disconnecting from the wireless router. I don't have any issues what-so-ever watching videos on other websites such as Hulu, or YouTube.

6. risingxxhero

risingxxhero Private E-2

Everything disconnects. I'm totally booted from the internet completely. The internet automatically reconnects itself after about a minute, even faster if I close my browser.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If watching Netflix on a wifi connection, that is not yours, it is possible that it could just be how that person has it set up to throttle the connection, or timing out. When you are home, and connecting to your own wifi, does it perform the same behavior? What other programs are you running at the same time? Do you have a screen saver, are you running on battery power, when the connection drops?

8. risingxxhero

risingxxhero Private E-2

No I am watching it on my own wireless connection. For the most part I do not have any other programs running. If at all just another browser tab. I do not have a screen saver, and it does it whether the laptop is plugged in, or not.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What browser?

10. risingxxhero

risingxxhero Private E-2

Firefox. It's up to date and everything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds