internet doesn't work after disconnecting router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Recker, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Recker

Recker Private E-2

When I disconnected the router and hooked straight up to the cable modem, my computer had problems. It could not get a connection, it said limited or no connectivity, meaning no connection, but if I hook the router back up it works again. I do not want to use the router. How do I get the settings straight so I don't have to use the router. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Recker

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

This depends on a lot of things. Many ISP's require you to register your MAC address with them before they'll assign you an IP. If this is true for you, what's happened is your router is registered and when you remove it, your ISP doesn't know who you are anymore sicne that MAC is gone.

Basicly, you should talk to your ISP about it, my best guess is they require your MAC to be registered but it could be other things. It mostly depends on your ISP. The HW setup sounds fine.

3. King

King Private E-2

I agree with Coco, usually you get an 'Install' or 'Setup' CD with your Modem, which registers the MAC of your PC. You could also try a release/renew on the nic, if you haven't already. Start->Run->command, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew.

But mainly I wonder why you want to get rid of the router? Being plugged directly into the modem, you're going to open yourself up for attacks. Yes, you can run S/W firewall, but why waste the resources of your PC to do something you have a seperate piece of H/W for? And most routers these days allow you to set MTU and other options to tweak the speed.

Good Luck,

King

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds