Internet Explorer 8 problem with Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by tonycat, Jul 26, 2009.

1. tonycat

tonycat Private E-2

Hi folks! I am a newbie to this forum, but not to computers. After some automatic downloaded Microsoft updates to Windows XP, my Internet Explorer version 8.0 started launching itself with the Add-Ons disabled (Flash, etc.) and "about" as the home page. There is a toolbar that the program launches then, it seems to indicate that I can manage the Add-Ons, but still won't let me, and won't keep any changes past the current session. The Add-Ons show in the window that opens as "enabled", when I click on the toolbar to manage the Add-Ons. Anyone else encountered this? How do I get back control of Internet Explorer Add-Ons myself? Thanks for any help!:confused

2. mizmaine

mizmaine Private E-2

I had similar problems. Add-ons disabled and about for home page and IE8 kept shutting down after I connected. Eventually, I uninstalled IE8 and reinstalled it, managing add-ons at installation. So far, it's working. Hope this helps you.

3. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

If you receive a message that all add-ons are disabled every time you start Internet Explorer, follow these steps to help resolve the problem:
    In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. Follow any on-screen directions.
    Close and re-open Internet Explorer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds