Internet Explorer accesses web then closes with error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bertie-sprinter, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Bertie-sprinter

Bertie-sprinter Private E-2

Hi. I have had a nightmare in last couple of days, and would appreciate some help.
    Tried to upgrade some RAM in main Win XP Pro PC used as "server" for a Peer to Peer network (8 PC's so must be XP Pro). Really old PC - to cut long story short, it literally blew the motherboard.

So since then - I have installed a new motherboard, reinstalled win XP Pro, struggled to connect to internet - realised it was motherboard needing drivers for the ethernet adaptor (built in) - have sorted that bit, and was hopeful that I was up and running but:

1. When I open Internet Explorer Browser - it will load the msn homepage (original default) but within a second it then says that there is a problem and internet explorer needs to close - I then get the cannot connect to internet screen.

I am not currently at the same location (home) as the PC I am trying to sort out - so will be a delay in replying to you if you are kind enough as to offer any help.

I don't know if this should be simply a case of upgrade IE to IE8? and hope that it is simply that it was corrupted?

2. As I was using the original hard drive in the new motherboard - it would not boot, as some of the drivers were obviously wrong - it also would not allow a Repair install, so I did a full install, but did not format my hard-drive - might this have caused the problem?

Any help would be very gratefully received. I will also be posting a further thread for help about potentially upgrading whole work system to windows 8, as I know that XP is about to run out of support - and I know how much of an inconvenience it is when this goes wrong - even our local PC repair shop did not want to help! I am a competent amateur, but don't know all that I should.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

3. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

IMO do the update, it sure can't hurt! It will give you more security with its many added patches, if all else fails down load Firefox.

4. Bertie-sprinter

Bertie-sprinter Private E-2

Thanks for help. Did the upgrade to IE8, and all works, much relieved! Now for the next challenge, upgrading to Windows 8, cos Microsoft wants more money!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds