Internet Explorer Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Neenaba, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Neenaba

Neenaba Private E-2

I am getting the following error when attempting to run Interenet Explorer:

Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I am running Windows 2000 Professional. Internet Explorer 6.0.

I'm not sure what other information would be necessary to help diagnose the problem, so excuse my ignorance for that. . . but let me know if there is more information I should provide.

Thanks!

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

3. Neenaba

Neenaba Private E-2

I checked that thread, and ran the list of the items. I couldn't run the last one, the sfc /scannow, because I don't have the disks (they are at an ex-boyfriend's house . . . long story)

Here are the steps I went through already:

1-Disable System Restore temporarily (only applies to WinXP & WinME)
    I am running Win2000

2: Enable viewing of hidden files, system files and file extensions
    Did this and two zip files appeared: Install_P1 and LegacyPatch_v14

3: Do not use Multiple Antivirus Applications
    I only have Norton

4: Downloading Tools
    Installed Ad-Aware, CCleaner, MS Windows Anti-spyware SbyBot Search and Destroy

5: Online Virus And Trojan Scanning Please run at least two of the below scans and post your results later. If one does not run, try another. If the scanners have a problem fixing anything, you can try to run them again after booting in safe mode with networking (some of you will not be able to connect in safe mode). You will need to use Internet Explorer to run these online scans.

I cannot use Internet Explorer because this is the application I am getting the error on.

NOTE: If using a non-IE browser, you can use Trend Micro's online scan with Java located HERE

message I received: An error occurred while trying to transfer data from the Internet! Do you want Trend Micro HouseCall to try resending the required files? Clicked OK and received same error.

Next message: Some vulnerabilities that require manual removal have been detected on your system. If you accept this process by clicking OK, the list of detected vulnerabilities will be displayed again. Clicked OK. Detected vulnerabilities listed is (MS05-03) Cumulative Security Update in Outlook Express ( 897715). Downloaded the recommended security patch Thank You for Downloading Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB897715). And also downloaded Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (KB896688).

6: Cleaning Malware
    Here is what I got when I ran the malware items (ran in safe mode):
    Adaware: 0 critical objects recognized, 3 negligible objects
    Spybot: No immediate threats were found
    MS Antispyware: Items infected - KaZaA (Under investigation) threat level moderate. I quarantined this.
    Ccleaner: No issues were found

I tried the patch Fixswen.inf

I am not sure what was done before the IE stopped working (it was the current b/f and he couldn't recall - so he says).

I couldn't really follow some of the other steps off that other thread (I was a bit confused).

I am still getting the same error. Any other thoughts on what I could try?

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You're not having much luck with boyfriends.

Next time, go out with a geek. :D (I'm available, and I'm house trained)

Try to repair IE using IEFIX.

Also, HERE and HERE are some other things to try.

5. Neenaba

Neenaba Private E-2

Ummm....tried that (namely the ex)....I obviously didn't have good luck with geeks either, lol :D

But I did have luck with this, by doing what was said in this thread.

And I also agree with what was said in that thread - you guys friggin' rock! Now I don't have to go and contact the ex! Happy me :D

Thank you !!!

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You're welcome and glad it's sorted, good work.

On a separate note, you should really try to get your Windows CD back.

One day you will need it, sooner or later.

7. thezeek

thezeek Private E-2

I had the same exact problem that started a few days ago. I was using ie and it all of a sudden came up with this error. Could not even open ie after that. Downloaded Netscape and have been using it to try and find a fix to this problem. Wa la! Here I am. I read through this thread. Went to the linked thread that Neenaba posted and did what was suggested by 2 of you and it worked. Wow Thank you for your great input into this forum.
    1 question though. What would put that key there in the first place?

Thanks again
    Zeek

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I'd love to have a copy of the backed up key to analyze.

Since I've yet to run into this, myself.

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. Big mistake on my part I think. :eek:

When I first came across a solution and posted it in this thread, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79790 I even made sure to ask the user if the error message said IEXPLORER.EXE.

It didn't register with me until I started checking this evening. IEXPLORER.EXE is spyware/virus related. It could be just left over from removal or something as most of the posters have ran spyware removal programs. And, if they are reading it correctly.

I also noticed, and this may just be coincidence, it's only happening on Windows 2000 machines.

Steve

10. thezeek

thezeek Private E-2

I can send you my backed up copy that i removed if you would like to view it. PM me and let me know if you do.

Zeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds