Internet Explorer Encoding

Discussion in 'Software' started by nightwin, Jul 24, 2004.

1. nightwin

nightwin Private E-2

I have Windows 98, 300mhx, IE6.0 and I have a problem with the Encoding.

It keeps on wanting to display at European Windows (ISO), instead of European Windows (Western). When this happens, the pictures will not display, all I get is a little Box with 4 little squares in it (not a red x).

This usually happens when I have a problem with my computer. Sometimes the computer will just freeze and I have to reboot, and the last time my letters on the keyboard would not type, but the function keys and control keys were working fine. I was able to hit ctl+alt+del and get the process prompt, but not able to type the letters.

When I rebooted, thats when the encoding suddenly changed.

I have zonealarm, Antivir, Spyware blaster, Hijack This, Browser Hijack Blaster, Spybot and nothing unusual shows up.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on.

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance

aj

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

In all likelyhood, when Windows crashes and IE is open, IE is not able to save the state of the browser to the disk. So the next time you open the browser, it goes to the defaut character encoding method of Western (ISO). I take it that enabling the Auto-Select option (View --> Encoding --> Auto-Select) doesn't help at all?

3. nightwin

nightwin Private E-2

I had the auto select on and it would normally go to European WIndows (Western). So I turned of the auto select and changed the encoding to Western. The page is displaying correctly with all of the pictures downloading, but the encoding is still (ISO). This has happened many times in the past, and I try everything to get it back to the correct encoding.

What is the difference between (Western) and (ISO)?

Something else that I don't understand is that I have the tool bar and setting locked, so why would something be changing it?

Could it have something to do with the file association. Currently my .gif files are set to open with InfranView. The last time this encoding problem happened, I removed the current association and added a new association (using InfranView) for the .gif files and it seemed to work.

Thanks for your quick response.

aj

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

nightwin,

Here is an article dealing with your file associations and jpg question: Steve

SYMPTOMS
    A Web page may display an image as a red X, or a placeholder may appear in place of the image.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if one of the following conditions is true:

The Show Pictures check box is not selected.

You recently installed a graphics program that changed the file associations for .jpg, .gif, and other image file types.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method.

Clear the "Show Pictures" Check Box
    Start Internet Explorer.

On the View menu, point to Encoding , and then click Western European (Windows) .

Verify that Show Pictures has not been disabled:

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options .

Click the Advanced tab, and then verify that the Show Pictures check box is selected under Multimedia .

Click OK .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds