Internet Explorer Hijack/Tried Suggestions/Still need help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by inky49, Feb 12, 2004.

1. inky49

inky49 Private E-2

I've carefully read through the previous threads dealing with Browser hyjacking and tried fixes suggested, with no luck.:(

History: Decided to try a cutrate ISP - Intergate. Signed up and messed with it but didn't like it and stopped the service. Removed them from my computer. Next time I tried to open IE it looked for them, couldn't find them and displayed the "Can't show this window" error message. I tried everything I knew through Control Panel to remove them/reset browser to original, remove cookies/history, etc. but nothing works. Talked at length to one of their tech people and tried all he suggested - no luck. Of course according to them this has NEVER happened before...

I've downloaded and tried several of the adware/spyware you smart guys;) have suggested to others and the only one that found anything was HIJACK THIS. It found several references to Intergate and removed them. One will not delete however. I delete it and then as soon as I rescan with HIJACK THIS, it's right back there again. I've tried deleting several times. Here' s the offender:
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5400

Does that look like the problem and if so/how the heck do I get rid of it? I'm not advanced enough to muddle with the Registry, without knowledgeable help, although I did look through it and removed the one reference to Intergate - which removed the name Intergate from the top of the IE browser window. IE browser is totally disabled, can't get anywhere with it and can't use IE menus.

I'm looking at reinstalling my OS (XP) but am taking three online courses and am terrified of being down for any length of time. Can't find any info on just reinstalling IE (not full OS), is that a possibility? Heeeeeeellllllppppppp?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yes, thats a problem, 127.0.0.1 is localhost and will go nowhere. Try booting into safe mode and try removing it then with Hijack This.

The registry is a pain but not too hard if you pay attention. Go to start, run and type in regedit. Then you need to expand each tree one at a time as listed. You should need to expand each of the following until you get to the last key which is the one to delete. Since your considering reinstalling, this is worth the effort if all else fails:

H_key Current User
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Internet Settings
    (And finally)
    Delete ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5400

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  3. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

hi inky glad to see you have done all the usual things first and done everything you could
    you havent really given much to go on though as i suspect something else is going on there
    first off have you made sure all browser windows were closed when you fixed the problems
    have you rebooted then tried rescanning
    if all this fails and you have got the latest updates and then run ad-aware and spybot and fixed anything found i think it would be ok for you to post your hijack this log up so we can take a look

edit:also do what MA said first and it wont go you may have a process thats re-installing it

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds