Internet explorer is currently running with Add-ons disabled

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrPessimist, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPessimist

MrPessimist Private E-2

Go easy on me - I'm not too great with IT but someone reccomended this website to me.

I downloaded the Norton 2008 update for my virus protection yesterday which proceded to stop my Windows XP latest version of internet explorer working.

I'd click on internet explorer and a blank page would appear.

Today I noticed that it came up as Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

I changed the homepage to a blank page. and managed to get onto internet explorer with messages coming up saying internet explorer is currently running without any add ons.

How do I change this?

2. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I believe you can do this: Click Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and look for Internet Explorer in the list. You should be able to click the option to restore the add ons. Likewise you may return here should you want to run IE with no add ons. The option will change depending on whether you have add ons running or not.

3. MrPessimist

MrPessimist Private E-2

Thanks for the prompt response.

The only internet explorer option I get that way is the run internet explorer without add-ons option.

If I do go through the whole internet options and manage add-ons process it just tells me that they are all enabled.

I close down Internet explorer without add ons and open up the other internet explorer icon through the start menu and it just freezes.

Very odd.

4. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Your issue may be relative to Norton. Try Norton help and/or FAQ's (frequently asked questions) and see if they recommend a fix. Otherwise someone more familiar with your problem can hopefully help by responding here. Good luck.

5. tnox

tnox Private E-2

I had the same problem and fixed it like this.
    Click Start/Set Program Access and Defaults/Microsoft Windows then choose Internet Explorer as your Web Browser. It worked for me and hopefully it will for you.

6. jobob951

jobob951 Private E-2

that actually worked for my scenario, however what could cause such a corruption of data? I was surfing the net this morning then I left, came back and went to launch IE 7 and there it was, "with no add-ons". Hmmmmm. odd.
    I have NOD32 as virus software for a while now. yes the problem is fixed, I just would like to know what caused it.. any info would be much appreciated.

7. mp04279

mp04279 Private E-2

START / Set Program Access and Defaults ---- where is that? Pardon my ignorance.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds