Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox not connecting to internet

Discussion in 'Software' started by lemartines, Jul 11, 2009.

1. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

Hi,

My internet connection is working but browsers do not load websites.

I'm a Vista user. My IE 8.0 stopped working after I did some "questionable" downloads. The internet works when I start the computer in the safe mode, but in regular mode IE will not open any websites and Firefox won't even start. I can, however, update softwares and connect to IM in regular mode.

I spoke with AT&T high speed internet tech support and they said I have a virus or malaware problem. Whether Windows Firewall is on or off, the problem remais.

My anti virus is AVG8.5, I have run scans of Malawarebites Anti-Malaware, Search & Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware.

Please help.

Thank you

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

3. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

Thanks. I have followed all those steps. Please advise me of what to do next since my problem remains.

4. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

My next step would be to open internet explorer and go to internet settings under tools.

This may be different a little bit in IE 8, but basically go to the last tab and then look for the reset buttons. Do both of them to reset IE back to how it was when it was first installed. These Internet settings effect Firefox also, so if it fixes IE 8, it may fix Firefox.

Another thing to consider, has there been any recent software or hardware changes on the computer?

5. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

Just did that but things took a turn to worse... Now IE will not open at all in the computer. As I try toopen it, I receive a message saying that "Internet Explorer has stopped working."

6. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

An update to my last reply to you. I rebooted that computer and IE is now opening. It continues to not connect to the internet though.

7. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

what about my question about new programs or hardware, has there been any changes?

8. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

Sorry I overlooked that part. There have been no hardware additions. I did instal a program to try to recoup data I lost in a flash drive (Arax Disk Doctor Data Recovery). I obtained the program via P2P and I'm pretty sure now I am infected with something that is troubling my browsers.

Arax has been uninstalled and I have run a number of anti-malaware/spyware programs that have not helped so far.

Thanks for your help so far.

9. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

What I recommend doing is narrowing down which program is causing you a problem. The fact that you can use your browsers normally during safe mode tells me it is probably a startup program or service causing your problems.

Basically, press windows key + r and type in 'msconfig' (without the quotes). When you get into the startup configuration, go to the two tabs called services and startup. Using that, you can disable startup items and services. By disabling one or more at a time, restarting your computer, and testing your browsers, you can narrow down what is causing the problem.

I know it is tedious, but the process of elimination can be that way.

10. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

Thank you for your suggestion. Is there any way you could help me select what serices and start up items are essential to keep checked for an ok start? The reason I ask is because there are 74 services in "running" status after a start up and 32 start up items.

Thank you

11. lemartines

lemartines Private E-2

12. fitity

fitity Private E-2

IE message help decoding

does anyone know what is a windows internet explorer message saying: " Out of memory at line: 83" ? windows vista

13. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

just reset your browser to all to defaults and clear and emptry everyting like cookies.. scan it with malwarebytes-antimalware

14. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Re: IE message help decoding

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have some advice for you.

Adding a new question to someone else's post is generally not the best way to get an answer. It is recommended that you create a new thread with your question so you can get dedicated help. If you don't know how to create a new thread, I can help you with that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds