Internet explorer opens then immediately closes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Griplessone, May 20, 2010.

1. Griplessone

Griplessone Private E-2

On my grandmas PC she will try to open Internet Explorer but it will immediately close. She was originally having this issue with IE7 and I decided to uninstall it and install IE8 to make the problem go away. Unfortunately, that did not work. If she clicks on it after about 10 attempts it will usually work. All other browsers seem to work fine but she really likes explorer for some reason and wants it to work again. I did run a HiJackThis report and the log is found below, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Hijack This log is only when requested, which is rarely, too time consuming when we don't know the problem and even then should be attached as a text file not copied and pasted in. Just saying don't know why you decided to post that, anyway...

Tried Firefox or google Chrome? A browser suddenly closing on it's own smells of malware, try a Superantispyware scan and\or Malwarebytes scan. If nothing comes from that, you want to be sure Adobe, Java are up to date. Let us know the results of a malware scan.

Also, check similar threads below for possible help.

3. Griplessone

Griplessone Private E-2

Sorry about the Hijack report. Did run Superanitspyware and malwarebytes yesterday according to the post you guys have for malware removal and cleared out all of the problems they found. Everything else is up to date and she does have google chrome and Firefox and they both work perfectly fine, but she is just set in her ways and wants to have explorer, i have tried many times to get her to convert but she will not. After reading some other posts it seems like this is usually caused by an add-on, but I have disabled all add-ons and still have the same issue.

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried fixing IE8? by going to tools/ INTERNET option's/ advanced/reset ?

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

6. Griplessone

Griplessone Private E-2

Okay, so I think I seem to have found the issue. After looking into my hijack report I noticed there were still traces of Stopzilla on her PC, after removing them Iexplorer has been working just fine. Thanks to everyone for there valuable input on the situation. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds