Internet explorer Refuses to load

Discussion in 'Software' started by oz_wwjd, Jan 3, 2011.

1. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I'm having problems with my Internet explorer windows appearing for 1 second,then closing itself off again. It started when I updated my CA Internet security suite and it promptly wouldn't allow me to log-in to half the sites I usually visit,it just looped the log-in around in a never-ending loop,so I used revo Uninstaller to remove it. After I rebooted the computer to complete the uninstallation,it refuses to run at all now.

Anyone have an idea on what's going on?

Attached Files:

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, oz_wwjd.

For clarification: you used Revo Uninstaller to remove the CA Internet Security Suite or to remove Internet Explorer?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When usuing Revo to remove anything you do not reboot when asked. This is the program's uninstaller telling you to reboot but Revo has not finished running.
    My suggestion would be to restore to before you uninstalled CA and try again but do not reboot when told to. Let Revo finish. Also when Revo presents you with registry items do not delete everything. You need to check/tick only items that are bolded, otherwise you will break the computer and probably make it unbootable because you will have deleted necessary registry keys.

4. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

Any other way to fix it,as I had System Restore switched off at the time? If I could download some kind of Internet Explorer install setup file that was small enough to be transferred between computers,as I have 2 computers and have been emailing files back and forth,but the size of the files in question is the limit here..

5. plodr

I can't think of any. Revo allows you to go back to adding whatever you uninstalled but since you rebooted in the middle of Revo working, that isn't going to work.

If you tap F8 at bootup and select "Last Known Good Configuration" can you get windows to boot? That might fix any registry problems.

6. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

I just assumed that revo saying" files will be deleted at the next restart" meant it was finished working. I have managed to get IE to work somewhat by uninstalling IE7 and going back to IE6 but it still doesn't want to work at all,it just sits there and refuses to load up any pages,besides what I have on my favourites list. Is there any way to remove it completely from my computer and do a fresh install,as I have a version of the IE setup software on a cd,but it also refuses to work when it detects a newer version on the system?

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What is the limit on your email attachments? Ie7 seems to be about 15mb from Microsoft.

Or, you could download Firefox (8.7mb) and install that on the computer where IE isn't working and then use FF to download IE7 onto that PC. (Once you are done using FF for the downloads and get IE working you can just switch back to using IE. It won't hurt anything having FF installed as a second browser)

8. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

Well I'm working from my mum's comp at the moment and her hotmail account doesn't permit me to attach exe files to it,other than that I've never tested the limit. Downloading anything on my main computer is just about impossible atm as it refuses to switch pages,and when I did attempt to re-install ie7 it didn't like that either,it installed OK,but the page hung on restart and refused to move off the startup IE7 page,which is why I was thinking about a complete removal of IE and a clean re-installation being my best option.

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would download the FF installer to your mother's PC. Change the name to FFsetup.txt and attach that to an email and send it to yourself. Pick it up on your computer via email and then rename the extension back to .exe and install it. Then you would have a working browser to go ahead and download the IE7 installer. (It looks like hotmail has a 10mb limit so you wouldn't be able to attach the 15mb IE7 installer to an email)

[If you don't have file extensions showing then you would have to change that to see the .exe and be able to change it to .txt. Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab>Uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types">Ok button]

[Or you could try zipping the exe file instead of changing the extension to txt if your mom's computer has a zipping utility.]

I don't know that IE7 can be completely removed. I hope others that know if that is possible or how best to repair IE will answer.

10. oz_wwjd

oz_wwjd Private E-2

Sadly That didn't work. Firefox installed fine,but once I have ie7 installed it freezes at the Customize your settings window and the only way to stop it is to use Windows task manager to close Iexplore.exe. Firefox is cool,but I'd prefer Internet explorer if I could figure out what's going on with the damn thing.

11. plodr

Open IE6 and click on File menu. Look towards the bottom and be sure there is no check/tick at the Work Offline. If that is selected, no pages load.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds