internet explorer works everything else is bloked (Firefox, Chrome, AVG install)

Discussion in 'Software' started by lyckos, Nov 9, 2012.

1. lyckos

lyckos Private E-2

Hello after long time

I have a friend laptop here,
    It seems to connect ok to the internet via wifi to my router, and while it opens pages with ie (although sometimes ie crashes when trying to access some pages) when i try to open any page with mozilla firefox(installation was ok) can't open any page, message unable to connect.On the mozilla site says: check proxy settings.
    Also I tried to install chrome but I can't because google update is unable to run. That one is also asking to check proxy settings or my firewall.
    When I tried to install AVG although the installer downloaded ok when I try to run it, it stops with message saying there is no internet connectivity. Another program I tried to install with installer I downloaded when it runs gives me a message no internet connecivity.
    Laptop has got windows security essentials, windows firewall and windows defender.I uninstalled the first, deactivated Defender and added exceptions to windows firewall for firefox. Nothing has changed.
    I went to ie > internet options > connections > settings where nothing is clicked and there is NO proxy installed
    any help please?

2. lyckos

lyckos Private E-2

I just ran a Hijack This scan to see if there is a proxy enabled, but there is no sign of a proxy on the results of Hijack This

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You'd have an easier time connecting by ethernet to your router. Wifi presents its own set of problems that get mixed up with the laptop problems you are trying to solve.

Every computer I bring to my home to fix for a friend, I wire to my router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds