Internet Explorer XP crashes driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Software' started by kathimac, Mar 19, 2010.

1. kathimac

kathimac Private E-2

Hey Brilliant Geeks, Any chance you'd help me? I have a Dell D610 with XP, IE 8 and keep it upgraded. It constantly crashes to black screen - total reboot. It only happens when I am on Facebook playing something with lots of stuff, like YoVille or Farmville. I have disabled add ons and done everything I can think/find. It's driving me crazy! Any tips? Thanks, Kathi :cry

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Did this just start? If so, a restore to a prior state MIGHT solve it but a black screen is more like hardware.
    Try reseating the RAM board(s), should be under a cover on the bottom of the lappy. Sometimes just replugging them back in can solve a problem.
    Fan running, notice any execessive heat?:wave:wave:wave

3. kathimac

kathimac Private E-2

Thanks Brandy. I was afraid of hardware problem. Fan is running. No excessive heat. Will try reseating Ram board.

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Is the machine still running when the black screen appears? What makes you say it crashes, just the black screen?
    Do you have any dump files?
    What do you do to get it to restart?

5. kathimac

kathimac Private E-2

It goes to black screen and completely shuts down. I have to push button to turn on and reboot. Don't know what dump files are. I constantly run internet options-delete-cookies, temp files, etc., the virus and advanced system care and defragment. I've cleared out everything not vital to make as much space as possible, but still happens.

I'm pretty computer dim-witted. Looked at back. To open and reseat RAM, I take off the corner screws, right? I took out some of the smaller part ones but they are for battery, modem, etc. Also, how do they come out? Do they slide or pop up? Don't want to make a bigger problem or break anything.

Thanks!

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

OK.....Do you run off of the battery or with the AC cord plugged in? Lets try something.....take the battery out and just run for a while with the AC cord. See what happens.

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Be a little careful here. Remove the battery, toggle the start button/slide switch a few times to make sure all is discharged, (this is for the computer's safety, not yours).

Be sure you're not holding any static charge on yourself.

The sticks should be held in by a small clip on each end, this you pull slightly and it levers the board out. Do so, then push in, resecuring the clip.

But this total shutdown is concerning, get your data saved!

Then follow these instructions to do a chkdsk;

http://www.ehow.com/how_2052292_run-chkdsk-f-windows-xp.html

How good is the battery and power cord connections?:wave:wave

8. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

On your C: drive under the windows directory there may be a directory named MINIDUMP. If the system crashes and has enough time it may write a dump to that location.

9. voodoo3rd

voodoo3rd Corporal

The problem with the game Yoville is it will take your CPU usage to 100% and hold it there if your laptop can't vent properly because of dust it will run into problems pretty quickly, I've seen a lot of laptops run into this problem when CPU usage is excessive.

I have no idea why it has to sit at 100% even if I am in an empty room by myself doing nothing (in the game) the CPU usage is still 100% and this seems to be the case on most computers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds