Internet Exployer 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by daybreak, Jun 8, 2009.

1. daybreak

daybreak Private E-2

Can't get out on the internet through my browser after loading Google Chrome with IE 8. Is there a conflick

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Misconception here. Google Chrome and IE8 are web browsers and they are completely independent of each other. IE8 is installed in Windows, and Chrome is also installed in Windows. You can use either or both of them to browse the internet.

So is the problem that Chrome has stopped working since you installed IE8? And what about IE8, is that not working either?

The answers to these questions would help, but one thing you could do which will probably restore normal service regardless is simply uninstall IE8, which would revert you to IE7. You would then need to hide IE8 in Windows Update, or at the very least take Windows Update off of Automatic so IE8 doesn't immediately reinstall itself.

3. daybreak

daybreak Private E-2

It is funny, the same thing happened to a friends computer at the same time. She took her's to a repairman and he said some of these computers with limited ram are having trouble with IE7 and when IE8 is installed everything starts going. (Then we both thought we could help by installing Chrome.) First IE disappears from the programs list. Mine was there but there was no uninstall. Both of us then lost our send/receive from Outlook Express. We both tried to restore to a couple of different restore points, but could not then restore. We were told to uninstall IE7 & 8, and reinstall IE6. Then to use Chrome which is more stable. I tried to install IE6 and was told that there was another later version of IE on the machine already. So I installed 7 and it still doesn't work.

One thing I didn't realize was an uninstall of 8 would revert to 7. And how would a person hide 8 in Update? Why would IE8 automatically reinstall itself. I'm not very savvy about the workings of these magic machines.

I have to admit that yesterday I took mine to the repairman, I just need to have it going. Right now I'm on the hubbie's laptop but would still like to know what is the truth about IE. Should I update these programs? Should I use Chrome, Mozilla or ? I would have been here ealier, but couldn't get out to ask for help.....

Thanks for answering the "just learning"....Joan

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Start Windows Update from your Start menu - it should be up at the top - and click Custom when the web page appears. If it says it needs to install something, let it.

When the list of available updates appears, untick IE8 and tick the box that says 'don't show this update again'.

Hopefully, it hasn't already installed itself on automatic updates. If it has, uninstall it again first.

Unless you choose to change it, Windows will automatically install any update it classifies as Important, and IE8 is one such.

BTW you can't uninstall Internet Explorer. You can go back to an earlier version, but you can't get rid of it altogether as Windows needs it.

Whichever you find the easier. Both work well, as do Firefox and a few others. It's just a personal thing.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This might also be a firewall problem. If IE surfs but google doesn't, it might mean that your firewall is blocking it. You need to go in and give permission to google chrome in the firewall settings.

6. daybreak

daybreak Private E-2

Thanks guys for the help. Got my computer back today and it was a bad DNS number. Kinda feel dumber now. But had another 256 put on and it seems to be working very good now. Does this mean I can screw it up at a faster pace?

Anyways, I will try the update thing and "thanks again"....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds