Internet hangs - 98%CPU to System Idle

Discussion in 'Software' started by ZACCCC1, Dec 2, 2009.

1. ZACCCC1

ZACCCC1 Private E-2

Today I had a lot of difficulty with accessing the internet. My connection was fine but when I tried to access a page, it would either just hang or take some minutes to show the page. I looked at the Processes tab in the Task Manager and saw that System Idle was showing 98% of CPU time so maybe this is the problem. The problem lasted all day and I have had to come here to a friend's PC to post this request for help. Can anyone help please?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

98% system idle means that well, your computer is 98% idle :)

3. ZACCCC1

ZACCCC1 Private E-2

Thanks Goldenskull. My problem seems to have solved itself and I've since learned that virgin broadband, which I use, was not working properly yesterday in my area so I'm guessing that that was the problem. I'm able to access the internet fine today but, interestingly, in TskMgr Processes the System Idle process is still showing 98%! (?)

Anyway, thanks for your help.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Why is that interesting? Its a measure of how idle your system is, as I already mentioned.

Did you skip over my post? You only want to worry when that number is low, for no forseeable reason.

5. ZACCCC1

ZACCCC1 Private E-2

Thanks Adrynalyne. The reason I skipped over your post was that it didn't seem that you'd tried to help me. Saying "98% system idle means that well, your computer is 98% idle" is telling me something that I clearly already knew. Your follow-up comment, "You only want to worry when that number is low, for no forseeable reason" has helped in that it tells me that I don't need to worry about such a high figure, so thank you for that.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sorry.

Reali life calls sometimes. I had already added to my post that it was most likely network related, but it obviously didn't save.

Hence, I did not follow up.

7. ZACCCC1

ZACCCC1 Private E-2

No probs - thanks for getting back to me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds