Internet is ruining college experience

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quiet Guy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Quiet Guy

Quiet Guy Private E-2

OK, maybe I’m overdoing it a bit… :p

Anyways the connection in my dorm stinks. I have it connected through the Ethernet cord because I get a very weak signal from the wireless connection. I realize since the college controls the network I can’t do much.

I was just wondering if I could do something to squeeze out a bit more speed.?

Help would appreciated

"edit" if interested here were my dl and ul speeds.
    1.70 Mbps-dl
    224 kbps -ul

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

I have heard of tcp/ip stack optimizers and speed accelerators that are supposed to help, but i've never used them and wont recommend them. your speed is really dictated by how many other people are on the lan segment and obviously how much bandwidth the school has. your download looks pretty normal for a t1. upload could be better though. my t1 gets 1.4 down 1.2 up.

3. Quiet Guy

Quiet Guy Private E-2

I might have found the issue from doing another speed test on another site that gave me more info.
    The DL and UL speed is ok like you said, but it says the quality of my service is very very poor and is unable to produce a constant stream of data. (no clues how or why)rolleyes

Got to get to class right now so I’ll play with it later this evening. Thanks again the response.

4. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I'd check with people around you on the same network.
    Are they getting comparable speeds or are you slower as compared to them?
    If you are slower, check with the IT guys for hardware problems in your hookup - wiring or connector problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds