Internet keeps crashing computer BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dollarbins, Dec 11, 2008.

1. dollarbins

dollarbins Private E-2

My internet and laptop have always worked until lately. I have used multiple wireless networks and it has always adapted fine. I moved it to my girlfriends house and it worked for half an hour then restarted and kept restarting. I finally noticed i was getting the BSOD. My comp would last half an hour at the most usually only like 5 minutes before it would crash after this, my internet worked fine too. I eventually shut my internet off on my laptop and my computer never had the BSOD happen and it works the way it did before. But once you turn the net back on it lasts awhile then crashes again. Any idea where to start? Thanks!

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi dollarbins and welcome to MajorGeeks,
    You need to access the Advanced Startup options and uncheck Automatically Restart.
    Vista procedure - Orb > Right Click Computer > Select Properties > Advanced System Settings > Startup and Recovery Settings button > Uncheck Automatically Restart. XP is similar.
    This will let you see the BSOD error information. Should be a heading at the top and a stop error. (Ex. IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL and 0x0000000)
    Post back with that information and we can go from there.

3. dollarbins

dollarbins Private E-2

I have already done that and the IRQ_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL the one i get..it also says stop 0x0000000A (0xff1711f2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x 804d99bs4)
    beginning of physical memory dump... and all that
    it works 100% with no internet connection and 5 seconds after i turned it on it gave me the blue screen with this info!

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

First thing to do would be to check Device Manager for your wireless network adapter. Possibly need to update driver or roll back driver for the adapter.
    Any software added at the time of the move?
    Tried a System Restore to before the date of the move?

5. dollarbins

dollarbins Private E-2

I had not used my computer for about a week before I moved it, so I had added no new software...the only change was the move....and unfortunately my computer had not been backed up before that point...when i did the device manager and ran the scan to see if there were any changes it opened my network adapters...thats all it did and i dont know much about it to try and fix it...

6. dollarbins

dollarbins Private E-2

would the fact her internet has a firewall enabled have anything to do with this?

7. dollarbins

dollarbins Private E-2

nevermind it still crashed....

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

A System Restore would not affect your information, only the operating system.
    You can back up before if you want too.
    Can you give some information on the type of adapter. The manufacturer should have the most up to date drivers available for download under support options at their site.

9. threehappypenguins

threehappypenguins Private E-2

It looks like this problem was never really solved. I thought I would add some additional info if anyone in the future might find this helpful. If anyone reading this can help me, PLEASE HELP!!!

A system restore will not work. Nor will formatting the entire hard drive. Let me explain.

My in-laws' computer kept getting various BSOD. They could only be on the computer about 5 minutes at a time. I tried looking into everything (hardware changes, software changes), but none of that seemed to be it. I couldn't even run any virus scans either. I figured it was a bad virus and so I brought it over to my house to wipe it clean.

The weird thing is, it didn't do any kind of BSOD for hours at my house. I could get all the information I needed off of the computer, without it crashing. Then it gets really strange. I shutdown the computer, boot the Windows XP installation CD, I go to format the hard drive, and what do I get? BSOD!!! I try this multiple times, and then give up. I boot up Kill Disk, wipe everything clean on the computer that way, and the hard drive is clear.

Then I boot up the Windows XP installation CD and... BSOD!!! I disable bios cache, and Windows XP installs fine. Everything is good.

I update everything on the computer (up to SP3), get all the rest of the updates, install everything I need on the computer (Office, Windows Live Messenger, MS Money, CCleaner, AVG free, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Adobe Reader, Cute PDF, Java, K-Lite Mega codec pack, etc), and everything works great. I'm even able to access everything on the internet, I upload some pictures to Facebook... no problems! For two days the computer works wonderful.

My brother-in-law takes the computer home, my neice hooks up the computer, she accesses the internet, and... BSOD!!! All she did was go on Facebook. My father-in-law goes on the computer and calls me, telling me that the computer is now lagging (it wasn't with me). I told him to unhook the internet in the back, and he said the computer seems to be running faster.

So I don't know if cable modems can carry viruses or something. What can possibly be the problem?

10. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

Sorry to jump in this late. Sounds to me like a hardware issue. I would suspect first off your network adapter, or an issue that was caused by the internet modem at your gf house. both of which can be related. there is where i would look first at the actual hardware itself, not your drivers. if a piece of hardware is flakey it can cause the issues you are having

11. ZePpLiNs

ZePpLiNs Private E-2

I am having similar problems. My main PC has only had a windows update added to it in the previous 48 hours, and every time I connect to the internet, within 5 or so minutes, my computer BSOD's it. If this does help, I am using a 10m LAN cable to connect my PC to my wireless router. The problem isn't with the router, since I am using my laptop with the same internet connection and router.
    It would be very appreciated if someone could help me out.
    Also, my computer also BSOD's it when I try to enter any form of safe mode.

12. dollarbins

dollarbins Private E-2

Thanks for all the help stilll...iI however found out the answer.
    the internet modem on my laptop fried and that was what was causing the crashes. I can run internet fine now I just have to make sure the laptop modem is off and that I use a usb internet stick!
    Thanks for all the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds