Internet limiting software

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by budman74, Apr 13, 2011.

1. budman74

budman74 Private E-2

I want to block access to the internet except for a few websites. We have our internet blocked but the problem is there are open wireless networks around the area that they connect to and then surf. This in turn breaks all the mappings and printer connections and loads the computers full of viruses. I am looking for something that will not easily be circumvented and is stealthy and won't matter if they change networks. If they can't go anywhere when they change networks they will stop changing them. If I could deploy and control it from the server would be a big plus but it not being able to circumvent is the main thing. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

Most software firewalls will allow you to do this, one such firewall is Comodo, which is free. most do not have server access but the settings are password protected, and will continue to work on any network they connect to.

is this for a business or home?
    and would you be willing to pay for it?

3. locodave

locodave Corporal

Parental control settings? Does your provider include this?

4. budman74

budman74 Private E-2

Business and yes I would be willing to pay for it, but not a ton of money.

5. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

Ok here is what I suggest, depending on the type of sites you want to block, most any software firewall will have, for lack of a better word, Parental Controls. these will allow you to block certain sites by category or URL. now I am assuming you currently have anti-virus on your computers, which most will have a firewall so you can check those settings. Most will also allow you to password protect the sites you block, so you can get to them only if you know the password.

ZoneAlarm is a good firewall if you don't have one, but you will have to pay for it. Comodo Firewall is Free and a very strong firewall if configured correctly.

the other practical option i see is to use a parental control program such as this one

http://www.consumersearch.com/parental-control-software/cyberpatrol-parental-controls

either of these options since they are are software will block the computers no matter what network they are on.

[edit] Don't run two virus scanners or software firewalls on the same computer, they will basically cancel each other out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. theefool

theefool Geekified

How much is not a ton of money? We use the http://www.cymphonix.com/EX320.html at work.

7. Lmason5

Lmason5 Private E-2

but if you read the previous post you would have seen that the open wireless networks are where they flock when they want to look at the URLs that he currently has blocked. Software is almost the only "easy" way to go.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

But, if using wireless, they are going to the cymphonix box, so yeah, easy fix. :) But, we are using enterprise stuff, so we can control wireless. Guest vs regular work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds