Internet occassionally not wanting to connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmk5508, Apr 14, 2005.

1. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hey guys. Hopefully someone can help me. For about a week, I have been having trouble connecting to the internet. I have Comcast cable and a motorola sb5100 cable modem and use IE6. I have never had problems before now. And the funny thing is that it seems like this happens at night, more so than during the day. I click IE and it sometimes displays 'detecting proxy settings' along the bottom of the page and doesnt seem to go any further than that. And sometimes, when trying to go to a webpage, in the bottom left corner, it says 'finding page', but it eventually goes to the 'cannot display page' page. I reset my modem, rebooted the machine...doesnt usually help. But if I close IE when it does this and try again by closing IE and reopening it, I eventually get a page to display. But even then, it seems super slow and sometimes cuts out again. I have ran adaware, spybot, and virus scan and havent found anything that stands out. I ran hijack this and the log was fine. I dont know if its my modem possibly going bad or if its something I could fix within my machine. Can someone help me?

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It may be something you should take up with your ISP. The fact that it gets worse during the day when people are up is a sign that it could just be the line is maxed out in your area. So to improve the performace you'd need to talk to your ISP.

If possible you could also try using a diffrent computer (a laptop maybe) to see if it's slow with it as well. If it is then it's got to be your ISP. If you don't have another computer, you could use a live CD like knoppix, and boot up using that and try the internet. It would be the same thing as trying another computer since it wouldn't use any of your current settings, and when you're done checking you can just remove the CD and boot up normally again.

3. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

i used to have that modem its a very problematic one it used to help if i turned it off for 15 mins then turn it back on thats the only thing that worked for me,

i would set fire to it if i were you
    (then again i get very annoyed very quick)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds