Internet Security Companies???

Discussion in 'Software' started by kilogulf59, Oct 27, 2016.

1. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Private First Class

I've been using AVG for many, many years but was wondering if there's anything better on the market nowadays? $99 p/year is getting to be a bit much. Any recommendations or advice?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've been using Win 10's Defender with the Windows firewall, and before that 8.1's Defender and Win 7's MSE, all at £0 p/year. Unless you are an 'adventurous' browser these are all you need imo.

StruldBrug and katkat like this.
  3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

AVG is sadly quite bloat-ridden now, including the subscription versions.
    Comodo, Avast and Avira in their free versions are all better than AVG.
    In over 15 years of using Windows I never have paid for security and don't expect to in the future.

StruldBrug likes this.
  4. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

Ditto Earthling and Max! Normally, I neither run, nor would ever suggest a beta. Yet, in this case, I make an exception. Take a look at the current Bitdefender Free Edition 1.0.3.9 Beta http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bitdefender_free_edition.html
    I ran it a couple weeks ago with only one issue ... it caused a problem with my "folding@home" download headers.
    Bitdefender realtime AV engines have always rated high in comparison lists over the years. If you decide to try it, I can give you some notes here to make installation go smooth.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

kilogulf59,
    FWIW AVG Technologies has been acquired by Avast Software. As of 3 October 2016, Avast and AVG has been operating as a single company.
    I don't believe Avast will continue indefinitely to offer 2 seperate suites of security software.

6. kilogulf59

WOW...so you folks use only the free versions of internet security software?

OK, my wife and I have two laptops running Windows 8.1. I do a lot of surfing as I have many interests and am, unfortunately, disabled. The Mrs pretty much does her Facebook and looks up recipes and such. We are definitely not "geeks". I am the resident tech and that's not saying much. I'd rate my computer skills at average user at best. We pay for AVG and Malwarebytes (couldn't get it for free for some reason) and use the free version of CCleaner. If you were me, how would you setup your security? What would you use?

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

8. kilogulf59

Thank you. It says malware will this cover viruses as well, in other words replace my AVG?

9. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I am using F-secure through my ISP provider as it was going for quite cheap and the reviews for the software are quite good.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Malware is a generic term (an abbreviation) for 'Malicious Software' and it includes all types including viruses.

kilogulf59 likes this.
  11. Gaming Insider

Gaming Insider Private First Class

Avast plans to create more and better products that will defend against the growing number of threats in the market. The company will continue to offer both the AVG and Avast branded products for the foreseeable future and to support all customers and partners for both product lines.

On that note, I have been using Avast Antivirus Free for many years without an issue. I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Exploit Free as well as Spyware Blaster and the Windows Firewall to protect my computer. I've rarely ever ran into a problem except for the ones I have caused.

12. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

@kilogulf59,

For the types of things you and your wife do online, Windows Defender and Firewall should be fine. NOTHING, and I mean nothing, is 100% effective against viruses or other malware. The only thing I'd add is CryptoPrevent to help protect against Ransomware.

katkat likes this.
  13. kilogulf59

OK, thanks folks and I need to study the "How to Protect yourself from malware!" thread.

14. isac

isac Private E-2

Hello,Bitdefender and Malwarebytes then you are good to go:)

15. kilogulf59

Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds