internet service via cellular data link??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cydneyl, Sep 24, 2007.

1. cydneyl

cydneyl Private E-2

I currently have satellite internet. I was advised that connecting through my cell phone provider via a data link card would be faster and more reliable.

My questions are...
    Is this only available for laptops or is there a card or adapter for PCs?

If the service can be used with a PC, do you network using a wireless router or do you use a card/adapter in both computers?

Pros / cons of this kind of service?

Any and all info / advice appreciated. Our cell provider is CellularOne.
    Thanks. :)

2. JPSchwartz

JPSchwartz Private E-2

Faster, maybe. There are two types of "speed" for internet connections. Bandwidth, which is probably better for satelite, and latency, which is better through the cell phone provider if you have good EVDO coverage. Bandwidth will get large downloads to happen faster, general surfing, games, and responsive feel needs good latency.

As for installing one of these cards to a PC rather than a laptop, that's fairly easy. The card from the cell phone will be a PCMCIA card, so you will need a slot for it. Since they don't come standard on a PC, you can add a PCMCIA to PCI Adapter Card like this one: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50892079

The internet connection can then be shared if you choose via normal 802.11 wireless.

3. cydneyl

cydneyl Private E-2

Thanks so much for a very helpful reply. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds