internet sharing client won't connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cmdr Chill, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

I have set up a hardwired lan and I connect to the web through USB cable from my desktop to the comcast modem. I have a netgear ds104 hub between the desktop and my laptop in the other room.they are connected w/cat5 through the ethernet ru45 jacks. When I try to connect the laptop to the web I get no connection but the desktop connects fine. Also Shared files on the desktop computer are visable on the laptop and visa/versa so my network must be fine yes? I have ran the setup wiz on both with no joy. What now? please help. Thanks,
    Cmdr. Chill

2. Cmdr Chill

After reconfiguring my network as instructed by netgear support, ie. both computers connected to hub w/cat5 and hub to cable modem w/cat5, I now have the same problem. I get good connectivity between the two computers (I can share files) however only one,(the desktop) can connect to the web. the laptop still begins by saying "acquiring network address, fir...". Then "Limited or no connectivity, Fir...". At the bottom of the page I get a dialog box saying "You may not be able to connect to the internet". I click on it as instructed and then I click repair connection. "Unable to complete operation IP bla bla bla". Even when the laptop is connected directly to the modem via cat5 no joy. PLEASE PLEASE HELP, I KNOW NOTHING.
    thank you very much Cmdr Chill

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you want internet connections at the same time for both comps, you are going to need a router. This would replace your hub.
    You can post the type and model # of your modem but I believe most comcast modems don't have any router functions built in.

4. Cmdr Chill

Thank you very much for your reply. I will replace the hub with a router and see what happens. I wonder if this hub will fit up the salesmans....well never mind. I really am very greatfull for your reply, thanks
    Cmdr Chill

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You are quite welcome.
    Most salesman need a good hub insertion.;)

6. Cmdr Chill

Hello All, Well I have just purchased a belkin router and followed the installation instructions to the letter. The CD plays a step by step procedure with diagrams and the connections are color coded. My work area is well lit and there is adequate ventalation. I was connected to this site when I began the installation and when the wizard finished I had no connection. There are no other computers on this network yet. I have cat5 from the modem to the green connector on the router and cat5 from a blue connector on the router to my computer. There are three other blue connectors on the router but I would like to get connected with one before I plug any more computers in. I have checked the cat5s by removing the router and connecting directly from modem to computer this is how I am configured now. My connection is great this way. Each time I try the router install and it fails I have to power down the modem and computer then restart in order to reconnect. I think my computer has no problem talking to the modem or router but the router and modem cant see each other. I am truly lost and becoming very discouraged so I am going to quit and go to bed now. Tomorrow I will get a fresh start and hopefully fresh input from this forum. I am beginning to think Comcast is doing something to get me to pay for a home networking package (they say I should be able to hook up to 5 computers with the service I have now).
    Thank You so very much and good night.......Cmdr Chill :zzz

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You might have to restore the router to factory defaults and start again.
    I'm not sure of belkin, but you sometimes need to run the set up CD on your first computer before actually hooking the ethernet cable to your computer from the router.
    What is your exact model and version of router?

8. Cmdr Chill

My router is an F5D7230-4 ver.7001 and I have been on the phone with technical support all morning and even they have given up. Tech Jose,( a very nice fellow) and I, went through the process 5 times changing IP address's and starting and restarting modems, routers, and my computer until BELKIN decided the router was defective. I went to my friendly neighborhood Target and exchanged it, ( the router) for a new one. Then I called Belkin and started the process all over again. Three installation cycles in and they decided to switch me to a "level 2" tech. ( I asked for a level 9 but sadly no) Level 2 and I went through the process a few more times until finaly my new tech said that "maybe the version # is not working with my modem". Now I've been to Target again(3) searching the boxes for a different version # to no avail. Comcast says modem is fine and Belkin says router model is supposed to work with my model modem. I think this is something simple that we just need to find. I am currently stuck with this router since Target won't take it back a second time. I will try anything at this point thanks.

9. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you type "192.168.2.1" in your browser, do you get to the router itself?
    Is the Windows firewall or any 3rd party firewall disabled while you are setting the router up?
    If you are getting to the router itself, can you do an ipconfig /all from the command line and post your results?
    (Start > Run > cmd then ipconfig /all)

10. Cmdr Chill

I truly thank you for trying to help me but rather than fooling with this thing forever I have decided to wait and get a better quality router unfortunatly, that will have to wait until next mo.
    I am planning to spend $100 +or- 10 dollars an would like to know what you think about the "N" type routers and any recommendations on what product to buy. thanks again lbmest,
    Cmdr Chill

11. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Well that's your choice but other members here have more experience than I do and may be able to fix you right up if you do want to continue.
    As to routers, I would stick to the g routers, as the n standard has not been put to bed yet and still may have some changes. I believe it will be finalized sometime next year.
    I've had good luck with Linksys and have had 1 Netgear that gave me no problems.
    If you have any other questions, post away as there are a bunch of good people here that can help you out.
    Good Luck:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds