internet sluggishness

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by susieq54, Apr 9, 2007.

1. susieq54

susieq54 Private E-2

I've been having problems for weeks now with internet sluggishness while using my laptop. I have no problem with the initial connection, but loading my email inboxes, and navigating from website homepages to certain links is painfully slow.

Mine is a wireless connection. Other computers used in my house are functioning well on the wireless connection.

I made my way through the malware removal guide posted on this site a couple weeks ago, and my logs were clean.

I've tried dis-enabling the autoprotect settings on my Symantec antiviral software, and that has made no difference.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

SusieQ

2. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Someone reccomended a program to me on here the other week called TuneUp Utilities 2007, it optimises your internet speed through changing settings. It does loads of other cool stuff too, theres a free 30 day trial at...

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

Its worth a look at, I use a laptop too but not wi-fi and this speeded my connection loads.

3. PrivatePile-sir

PrivatePile-sir Private E-2

try going to www.toast.net , and in the left hand side scroll down to internet connection speed test. select the test and see how fast you dsl connection is. If your getting 100kbs or better, it's def not your isp. One suggestion would be to dump any nortons or symatic products, as they are resource hungry and will cause your system to slow down. There are some great free products on this web site like, AVG free, ZONE alarm free, spybot s&d, and a-squared.
    A-squared runs well with AVG with out conflicts. All of these programs run light on your system and just as good if not better than Nortons or Symantics.
    You also might want to consider turnning off some of the programs running in the back ground that use up system resources. Go to the software forum and you'll find there some read me's that will tell you how & what to turn off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds