Internet speed isn't reaching max

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qnatekzew, Dec 20, 2014.

1. qnatekzew

qnatekzew Private E-2

Hey guys I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this or if I should even ask here at all. Anyway to the point. I'm not sure what internet speed my dad bought but I'm pretty sure it's 1MBps, or mbps, I don't know. Next you'll give me this calculation of what 1mbps means but no. My internet speed can reach 162.0KB/s which you can see in the Steam.png attachment. Now if I go to 192.168.1.1 I see a Max Down Rate of 14692kbps seen in the Admin.png attachment at the bottom. Now if I convert that to KB/s I will get 1814KB/s, which then converts to 1.81MB/s. I have three attachments of that labeled 1, 2, and 3.png, please check them out and help out since my ISP (TP-LINK) just comes over does some random things to my router and sets off saying it should work fine. Using Windows 8.1! Thanks a bunch.

Sorry but I used Snipping Tool for the screenshots.

Attached Files:

• Steam.jpg
      Steam.jpg
      File size:
      71 KB
      Views:
    • Admin.jpg
      Admin.jpg
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      92 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      89.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The first shot shows the speed you were able to download from Steam's servers. That is not necessarily your maximum download speed. The load on Steam's servers form other people downloading, among other things, will affect that rate. Try an internet speed testing site to get a better picture of your bandwidth.
    I just tried this one: http://testmy.net/hoststats/pt_telkom_indonesia

3. qnatekzew

qnatekzew Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I've attached the test.

Attached Files:

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats about right from the information given.

Advertised speeds will always be "up to", and very rarely guaranteed.

5. qnatekzew

qnatekzew Private E-2

So would it be possible for me to ever achieve that 1.81MB/s Max Rate? Or was that just some random numbers they put in?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sadly you never really hit the max and connection is like other have already said are affected by a lot of things, one thing I noticed about your routers connection data is that you have fairly high-ish line SNR and attenuation (noise) as a 36.3db line is likely a long one from the exchange, so longer it is the more signal degrades.

You may also have poor connections from exchange to your connection in home, had this in the past and phone company tested line and fixed some corroded connection. Also if you have an extension cable from main phone point to router then that will not help either, multiple phones on same line (with ADSL filters) can affect speeds.

Some of this HERE may help a bit

7. qnatekzew

qnatekzew Private E-2

Alright then. Thanks all for the help and thanks David for the explanation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds