internet stops after 10 minutes, need to reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sg9, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sg9

sg9 Private E-2

I have uninstall Norton and McAfee and since then, my internet quits after being connected for 10 minutes. My outlook still works, I can also access secure websites like Paypal, etc but regular web sites are no longer accessible.

If I reboot my computer I then have another 10 minutes of internet.

I installed on-line armor 4 months ago and it blocked certain <<items<< and that keep my internet going for as long as I wanted but since I uninstall on-line armor, the problem came back.

I forgot wich <<items were blocked that allowed my internet to work properly.

Any ideas how to fix? Of course I have once again re-installed on-line armor but this time, it did not find or block the such item so my problem did not go away this time.

Thank you

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

What Internet browser are you using?

If it's Internet Explorer 7 or below, go to www.microsoft.com and download/install IE8. It's more secure and (in my experience) less prone to issues.

You can also try downloading a different browser such as Mozilla or Safari from the downloads section. If this solves the problem the culprit is likely a corrupted install of your original browser. If it persists with a different browser, post more details and maybe a more advanced geek will have additional solutions.

Good luck...hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  3. sg9

sg9 Private E-2

I have tried other browsers with the same results.

Like I mentioned, the browser is fine for the first ten minutes. Also, once On-line armor had blocked the ''item'', I call it like this since I don't recall if it was a program, everything works fine, but once On-line armor was uninstall, the item is once again creating this issue for me.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It sounds like the On-line Armor program may not have uninstalled properly.

Even if you used Windows Control Panel to properly uninstall the program, there is a chance traces of it were left behind in the registry.

The first thing to try is a freeware registry cleaner. My choice is Advanced System Care Free. You can find it in the MajorGeeks downloads section or at www.iobit.com.

If this doesn't fix the issue, you basically have three choices: Try other registry cleaners, have someone who is experienced manually edit the registry or back up all your stuff, reformat the drive and reinstall Windows. If you try a stronger registry cleaning program be careful: I have seen a registry automatically cleaned to the point required lines were taken out resulting in an unstable PC. In these cases, Windows had to be reinstalled.

5. mastermosley

mastermosley Sergeant

You could also try updating your wireless or ethernet driver.

6. sg9

sg9 Private E-2

I simply need to find which ever file or program creates this problem and block it like On-line armor did before or delete the file or executable

But which one???

7. ONEEYEMAN

ONEEYEMAN Corporal

Hi, sg-9,
    Is it possible you have a malware problem?
    Try running "READ AND RUN ME FIRST" sticky post in the Malware forum.
    Maybe someone can figure out the blocker by looking at you logs?

Thank you.

8. sg9

sg9 Private E-2

Found the file creating my problems

vsdatant.sys

to correct the situation I had to set the value to 3. Here is how

go to run

type: regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    Currentcontrolset
    Services
    vsdatant
    change the parameter in ''Start'' to 3. Mine was set at 2

This fixes the problem

HTTP sites are now available even after 10 minutes

HTTPS and FTP sites were available regardless.

Voila

I hope this helps other people.

Thank you to all who tried to help

Bye,

Martin

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds