Internet stops working after awhile

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rooney, Jul 7, 2006.

1. rooney

rooney Private E-2

Ok, so I have this really annoying problem. My internet stops working after I'm using it for some time. Sometimes it works fine for 3 hours then stops. Sometimes just 20 minutes. I can't load any pages, sign on to messenger programs or anything. But if I restart my computer it will work just fine again. But doing this is EXTREMELY annoying. I believe it's something with my computer and not the actual connection because my roommates' connections are fine. The network connection says that it is still connected. I tried a repair, but that didn't work. Any ideas on what can be causing this? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. halfcard

halfcard Private E-2

you may need a new computer.

some slightly older models have too many 'shared resources' that interfere with each other.

3. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Hi rooney

The chances are you don't need a new computer. Halfcard may work for a computer company on some kind of commission deal ;) . There are however many reasons this could happen.

First and foremost you should make sure you have up to date antivirus and antispyware utilities. There are many available for free, Personally I recommend Avast antivirus http://www.avast.com and Adaware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ These are both free although you may have to hunt around a bit on the Adaware site for the free version.

I also recommend you use some kind of firewall. ZoneAlarm offer a pretty good free firewall (although last time I used it I found it to have a pretty hefty memory leak if it was used in an environment with lots of UDP traffic, however for basic use it will offer pretty decent protection.)

You should also check how much space your temporary internet files are taking up and either allocate more space or clear them more frequently.

Try these steps and if your still having problems pop back here and let us know.

Hope this helps

Matt

4. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Matt,

Please familiarize yourself with some of the download directories available on Majoreeks. Both of these tools (and many more) are available for download from MG's. We prefer to link to in house download links, whereever possible, to help generate revenue for the owners.

In house links:

Ad-Aware SE

Avast! Home Edition

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Oops sorry.

Ill make sure I do.

Matt

6. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Not a problem! All new members typically go thru this. Obviously we cannot know everything that is available but take a look thru the directories and get an idea of the large amount that is available. There are two search methods below the directory lists that are useful too.

7. pari22

pari22 Corporal

have you tried cleaning up the temp and internet temp folder?
    if you are able to connect fine for the first afew hours, you probably don't need to buy a new PC - probably.
    Are you using Windows XP? Then try installing all the updates and SPs.
    Also, if you have fresh XP CD, you could reinstall your OS in repair mode and see if it helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds